Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Disappointment


I have read reviews of "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert for more than a year, all of the reviews being very positive.  Reviewers talked of the wit and humor with which Ms Gilbert described her search for pleasure, prayer and God as she traveled to Italy, India and Indonesia.  Well  I've got to tell you folks I was really disappointed.  Her search was lengthy (taking a year) and about an inch deep.  What a whiny book.  I want my money back, glad I bought it used and she'll get no royalties from my purchase.
At first I thought it was just me, I'm old and cranky, I wanted to give her a swift kick in the butt and say, "Get over it!".  But then I went and read some of the reviews of Amazon readers and they all felt the same way I did, I usually read these reviews before I buy a book and I wish I had this time.
Poor, poor Liz, So you had a bad divorce ( one of your own choosing), boo hoo hoo! Isn't that sad, and to make it worse you had a bad love affair, before you were divorced from your husband and that ended badly too!  Oh, poor baby.  You were so needy and he was so distant, how does one survive this?  Like millions of others, by getting on with your life?  No, no, no!  You get an advance on a book you'll write and take yourself on a yearlong trip of self discovery and search for God.  I'm glad the pasta was good in Italy, that you found peace in India and new love in Indonesia.  I'm just sorry that I wasted my time reading about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...