Friday, September 18, 2009

Gray Squirrel




The Eastern Gray Squirrel is a constant visitor in our yard, actually they live somewhere in the yard, but I can never pin point where. Anytime of day you can look out the front or back yard and there will be a couple of them hopping around. They make a mess of the lawn with pieces of pinecones, which they strip down, I'm amazed at anything that can eat a pinecone! They come up to the back porch and get into the birdseed, and don't leave anything for the birds. Ms Kitty spends the better part of her day singing to them, and will follow them from window to window. I'm not sure what she thinks they are, maybe just some kind of  ugly cat. As I said they are constantly in the yard, but we have never seen any baby squirrels, they all appear to be adults. That was until a few days ago, when I saw a squirrel with what I thought was a pinecone in its mouth, a very common sight, but this pinecone was furry, had a tail and let out a squeak! I kept my eye on her and she ran up a tree and stuffed this little fur ball into a hole in the trunk of an oak tree about six feet off the ground. Then she left, I could hear her offspring rustling around and letting out squeaks, and every now and then a head would poke out of the hole, sniff around and disappear. They have been in the tree now at least a week, they are not much smaller than their mother and I wonder how much longer before we see them on the lawn or at the bird feeder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...