Sunday, May 22, 2011

Must Haves

While reading Kate Takes 5  this week she was talking about the 5 products she couldn't live without (tweezers, pasta, laptop, tv and a bottle opener for her wine) and I took a look at what other people were listing and wondered how essential they were to me.
Many people listed their tv  I could live happily without mine, I watch very little anyway except for sports and HGTV and if they come up with a sporting House Hunters program I'd probably watch it.
Nearly every one listed their mobile (known as a cell phone over here) and again I could live easily without one.  I don't like phones, never have, my cell phone lives in the glove compartment of my car to be used in emergencies (I don't even know my cell phone number) and my landline is always set to pick up messages we never answer it without seeing who the call is from.  If you need to get hold of me you have to e-mail.
Others listed their camera and I do like mine but I think I could live without it.
Wine was listed frequently and though I love of a glass of good German white wine I often go long periods without having any.

So what 5 things must I have?

1.  My computer and a connection to the internet.  I shop online, talk online, book travel online, download books online, it is my lifeline.  When our connection goes down and it doesn't very often, I feel stranded.

2.  Books, I must have books, I read all the time and get nervous if I don't have a stack of books waiting to be read.  Some of my best friends are books.

3.  Air conditioning.  I can't imagine living in the South without it, actually I can imagine it because a hundred years ago when my husband was drafted into the Army they sent us to Georgia and we couldn't afford air conditioning, in fact most of the time we didn't even have a fan.  It was awful, so I must have air conditioning.

4.  My credit card.  I don't have a debit card but I have a credit card that I use for everything and get frequent flyer miles while I do it.  I pay it off every month, never carry a balance and don't carry much cash either.  Makes life very easy.

5.  A car with a hatchback, we absolutely have to have one.  We live 8 miles out of town and to save gas we always bundle our trips trying to get as many things done at a time as we can and with a hatchback we can haul groceries, lumber, garden supplies, pool supplies, tile, you name it.  Mac drives a sports car (Mazda Miata) and without my car we'd need a pick-up truck.

So those are my 5 essential products, what are yours?

3 comments:

  1. I'm not much for making lists but as my life is now I would definitely not want to be without computer and broadband; when something goes wrong there I feel cut off from the world! Since I just got a new camera, obviously I find that an important object too. But obviously I CAN live without a car (because I do). (But then I live in town, not 8 miles out of...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. might have to think about this and get back to you! I do know my laptop would be in there.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Books and my laptop would be on the list, paper and pens, yarn and knitting needles and the countryside within walking distance of where I live. If I never saw a TV or cell phone again it wouldn't bother me in the least, could live without a car too.

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...