Saturday, January 24, 2015

A Tale of Two Shows

The other night while waiting for Downton Abbey to come on we watched Singing in the Rain with Gene Kelly, Donald O'Conner and a 19 year old Debbie Reynolds.  We've seen parts of this movie, but never the whole thing.  Was it dated, I mean it was made in 1952, sure it was.  A classic though and considered the very best Hollywood musical ever made and that's a well deserved tribute.
It was funny, it was witty, if you like dancing the dancing was incredible.  Made us realize we need to see the whole movie.
Then we watched Downton Abbey a show I
usually enjoy, but not that night.  I'm use to gloom and doom with Anna and Bates, but this episode had Mrs. Pattimore unhappy because her nephew who'd been shot for being a coward couldn't be on a War Memorial and she roped Mrs. Hughes into trying to convince Carson to put him on the local one---you knew that was never going to happy-- so more unhappy people.  Then the police are sniffing around Bates over the death of the valet Green so Mrs. Hughes and Lady Mary are upset and Lady Mary after a week with Lord Gillingham wants out of that relationship.  Cora is feeling unhappy, so then the Earl is unhappy and of course Edith was unhappy---when has she not been?  Cora's maid is unhappy, Thomas disappears.  It just went on and on.
We almost turned it off and went back to watching Singing in the Rain.  The Abbey had better lighten up.

12 comments:

  1. Dare I say that I am the only person here in the UK who has never ever watched Downton Abbey!!
    As for that early Gene Kelly film - I love all these old films - they don't make 'em like that any more, more's the pity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep watching - it's certainly not as happy go lucky as Singing in the Rain but it is compulsive viewing.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I' haven't seen DA since the first episode and a half, several years ago. Singing in the Rain is another matter. I saw an interview with DR who said it was pretty awful to be 19 and criticized by GK, who had stainless steel expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gave up on Donwnton Abbey after the second season. I watched here and there and then they killed of Marys husband. I understand the need to move the plot forward... but Edith what a mess she is always unhappy. And then they took the wonderful strong character of Ann and married her to a mess and she stared the slippery slide down the mountain of doom.
    What ever do they put in their tea and crumpets ?

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  5. love downton abbey , please don't give up. from uk to yiu stick with it. I love itxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh stick with Downton. Obviously we are well in front of you so I can say it is worth watching, honestly. You spoilt yourself by watching Singing in the Rain first.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep going with Downton, I can't say it all gets resolved but it's definitely worth watching. We've got Call The Midwife back on here on a Sunday evening, another of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It does get better, so keep with it!! As Jo mentioned, Call The Midwife is back, so will be with you soon, that is really great! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love Downton Abbey and yes it's very compulsive viewing. Keep watching it does get better. Have you seen Mr Selfridge? Another series to add to the feel-good factor of Sunday night viewing! Thankyou for your comment on my Five on Friday post. P x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy to say that I've never watched it. It sounds a bit silly to me but I might well get hooked so - better not to start!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Downton Abbey for several reasons, but it's like watching a car accident. I know it's silly but I have to look! I don't want Mary to marry Tony. I'm a couple episodes behind so don't tell me if she already did! He doesn't hold a candle to Matthew. (You'd think I knew these people, right!)

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...