Monday, January 26, 2015

What's Cooking

Well yesterday it was an old fashioned southern lunch:  Chicken Fried Steak, Mashed Potatoes, Corn and White Gravy.
Probably about a 2,000 calorie meal, but sometimes you just have to do it.
Today it's old style Spanish, we're having shrimp and rice, not to be confused with shrimp and grits which is southern.
For this you start by boiling potatoes and onions together.  While that's boiling merrily away heat 2-3 teaspoons of oil and enough paprika to color the oil, when it's sizzle hot pour it into the potatoes.  Now add about a cup of rice  and a dash of saffron.  Let it cook till the rice is almost done, now add a can of shrimp, juice and all.  If your liquid gets all absorbed by the rice you can add more.  My Spanish Mother-in-law taught me to make this and I guess it has a name, but I don't know what it is.
Great dish for a cold, windy day, thank goodness we're not getting the storm the northeast is getting.

11 comments:

  1. I remember the first time my Texas cousin made chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, white gravy and corn--I almost didn't come home to Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds lovely - my kind of meal, fried stuff and potatoes, love comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once a year I will make a country fried steak. mashed potatoes, corn and gravy. Yum !
    Your Spanish Rice is different. We don't put potatoes in ours. Was this your MIL take on a Paella ?

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hubby loves chicken fried steak. I don't make it too often, but yours look so good.

    The other recipe sounds very interesting and good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the sound of the shrimp recipe as I was going to use some frozen prawns and cook with rice sometime this week. I wouldn't have thought of the potatoes combination, but I shall give it a try with this extra ingredient.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of a dish with potatoes and rice. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of white gravy before. We had a roast chicken dinner last night so I've made pies for tonight with the leftover chicken and we'll have those with roast potatoes and veg.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds delicious. How I wish to farmer would eat shrimps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are right, sometimes you just have to do it, love the sound of the chicken and mash, making me hungry x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm, they both look good. I'll have to try the shrimp recipe as Mr. M is partly Spanish and loves Spanish food. We even have some saffron that my nephew brought us from Spain ... high time it came out of the cupboard! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband would eat that Chicken Fried Steak anyday at your house. Looks really good:)

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...