Wednesday, March 25, 2015

The Down Side of Antibiotics

I have taken antibiotics very few times in my life and only twice in the last 20 years or so.  This last time the antibiotics worked well, too well, they not only killed the germs that were making me sick they killed all they good little bugs too.
I ended up with dry mouth syndrome which is common after taking antibiotics and takes forever to go away and a yeast infection.  That one I knocked out right away.
And then I ended up with a sour stomach and it wouldn't go away.  So Mac hauled me off to the doctors again, even though I'd promised them I wouldn't be back till June when it was time for my semi-annual exam, but there I was yesterday morning.
The doctor said we needed to get rid of the bacteria left in my stomach and give the good ones a chance to grow back.  So I have a GI Cocktail to take several times a day, my probiotics and a different type of antibiotic which tastes horrible.
No more antibiotics for me, they're just not very judicious in who they do in.

3 comments:

  1. Other people I know have spoken of similar results with antibiotics so I do steer clear of them if I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's horrible. I haven't had any for years and hope I don't have any either. There are some good kefir drinks out there full of probiotics and tasty, too.

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...