Tuesday, October 27, 2015

It's Already Tuesday

Indeed it is.  Hurricane Patricia swooped through Mexico, rained all over Texas and as it heads north it's dragging moisture out of the Gulf of Mexico to give us a good soaking.
We picked up cabbage and red leaf lettuce plants yesterday and got them planted, after pulling out about 90,000,000 weeds.  They should enjoy the weather.  I thought I'd have time to plant the bulbs I bought (daffodils, paper whites and some others I can't remember the name of) but the rain got here sooner than we expected so bulbs will have to wait.  Mac did get the pansies we bought potted, they should last till next year's heat gets them.
We need to pick lemons too.  Most years we might get one lemon on out tree, but this year it produced a few more.  Not really lemonade season, wonder if I could squeeze them and just save the juice.
I've mentioned to several bloggers that I'm enjoying all the pictures being posted of the leaves changing colors because none of ours have and they wondered when did ours change color.   Not all our trees lose their leaves, the live oaks don't and of course the pines and firs don't.  Eventually the maples and sycamores will, but it won't be until late November or December.  Some years the leaves don't fall until the new leaves force them out.  So fall is nice here, but not very colorful.
I've been working on a gift for how daughter, really whizzing along, looked down and saw the WAY BACK I'd made a mistake and had to undo most of what I'd done.  Miss Kitty thought it was fun to watch me undoing it.  Need to do a better job of counting stitches.
Mac is having trouble tuning his mandolin and has decided to order  tuner meant for mandolins and violins instead of using his guitar one.  A mandolin have 8 strings in sets of two and is more like a violin than a guitar, who knew?  He read about a man who said he'd had a mandolin for 30 years, 15 playing it and 15 years tuning it.
I need to go do something productive, have a good Tuesday.

9 comments:

  1. Ah, yes, I suppose that makes sense...I only (sort-of) play guitar myself.
    Regarding the lemons, I was given a jar of salt preserved lemons, which are simply amazing. I've been using them to roast chicken with, squeezing the juice out, rubbing the flesh with them, stuffing the squeezed bits under the skin and pouring the salty, spiced liquor over the bird. I can't do without them now, and will have to make my own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just e-mailed you to ask about the leaves! So you answered my question! Fresh home grown lemons must be amazing! I suggest gin and tonic with a large slice of lemon!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. How maddening to have to undo all your work and redo it - been there, done that and got the t-shirt:) Gretel' s idea of salt preserving the lemons sounds good, what to do with the fruit of a lemon tree isn't a problem I shall ever have living in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Homegrown lemons, that is wonderful.
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. When life gives you lemons make lemon curd or lemon marmalade - lucky you I would love my own lemons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've not spent much time in Florida; it's a mystery to me. I do like live oaks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm interested in what you have growing, since it's my first year of growing things in the South. We have lemon and lime trees but they are half the size of yours and didn't bloom. Maybe next year! Going to buy some pansy plants today and maybe some lettuce and cabbage, too. Thanks for the advice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Planting seems foreign to me this time of year. It is snowing today:(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will not have a good harvest from my citrus this winter.
    We had a huge storm with high winds and I didn't cover my Meyers Lemon tree and so no lemons or tangelos.
    A few sweet oranges and surprising a lot of grapefruit though.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...