Sunday, December 6, 2015

Why I Shouldn't Multi-Task

Busy Sunday, Skyping with our daughter first thing in the morning (hate the 14 hour time difference). 2 mile walk and finally a cup of coffee, YEAH!
Load of laundry done and out on the line, loaf of bread in the bread maker  and then because Marty at Welcome Words  says we should drag our silver out of their plastic bags and start using them every day, I got my silver out and cleaned it up and started using it.  Mac then took all my brass candlestick holders outside and polished them.
I finished decorating the house and if it ain't covered in red and green it's not because I didn't try.
These were all single tasks and they went without a hitch.
Next it was time to start the Gumbo.  Gumbo takes quite a while  to make so I wanted to get an early start on it.
Making the roux takes forever and while doing that I thought why don't I mix up a bowl of chocolate chip cookies and throw them in the oven, I mean I'll be standing over this stove stirring FOREVER so it'll be no problem keeping an eye on the oven.
Well the first load went without a hitch, but I got distracted with the second go around and almost forgot them completely.  So the first ones are soft and light, the next ones are darker and crispier, not burned, but not quite right either.
I'm definitely a one-track lady.







 The Gumbo though was to die for, the picture isn't fuzzy, that's steam coming off the bowl.

8 comments:

  1. My 17 year old is always asking me to make gumbo. Too bad I can't send him your way. :) I quite often forget things on the stove or in the oven because I'm in another room doing something else. Oops! Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry about your cookies. I was broiling eggplant in the oven yesterday and forgot it! Your gumbo looks amazing. Well you ever share your recipe? Enjoy your Monday, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Gumbo & I haven't had it for years. Your Gumbo looks really good x

    ReplyDelete
  4. As long as the gumbo was good the cookies will be fine! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was telling my son today that I might make Jambalaya for our family get together. This led us to singing "Jambalaya" by Hank Williams, which led us to checking youtube for the actual song (which we found!), and the lyrics ... "Jambalaya, crawfish pie, fillet gumbo" ... which conversation has now come full circle with your post on gumbo! Your gumbo looks delicious, but I have to admit I've never had gumbo. The song btw was one of my dear mom's favourites and we used to listen to her 78 record.
    ~Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my that gumbo looks good! I'll eat the over-baked cookies if you want to send them up this way. No such thing as a bad choc chip cookie in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gumbo is one of those mystical, romantic things which this Brit has always wanted to try...I mean, I could try to make it, but it would really need to be eaten in the proper surroundings - I've watched too many films set in the Deep South!

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...