Saturday, January 30, 2016

Hidden Away

It seems as though January is one of those times when everyone deep cleans and declutters.  So with that in mind I tackled my baking pantry where I keep: bread flour, regular flour, wheat flour, white sugar and brown sugar, gluten, cornstarch and baking powder.
Up above these shelves was a bit of a hodgepodge that I wanted to clear out.  Found 6 Çey glasses from when we lived in Turkey, 5 match, they're going to Goodwill, a large glass vase that can still hold water and a small glass jug I immediately put some daffodils in.
And on the next to top shelf I found a Victorian blue and white plate.  How do I know it's Victorian?  Because of the diamond-shaped registration mark on the back.  Looking online I saw the mark is for 1850, so my plate is more than 160 years old.  Have no idea what the Missouri means because I bought this plate years ago in England.  Anyway, it got to come out of the cupboard and sit on the counter for awhile.
The cupboard is all clean now, at least for a little while.




A little explanation on the Victorian registration mark
The IV at the top is for class of goods, the IV means clayware
The  V is for the year:1850
The M on the left is the month: June
The 5 on the right is the day
The Rd in the middle means it's a registered design
The 3 on the bottom tells how many items were included in the registration.

12 comments:

  1. I didn't realise that the little Turkish tea glasses were called cey glasses - did you notice that I used one for my Kashmiri tea last week? I have six with saucers that I bought for next to nothing in Turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope someone explains the plate's markings to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it good to have a sort out. Interesting plate too isn't it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful find. I've started upstairs this year so downstairs especially the kitchen will be February jobs. It's always lovely to come across something that could tell so many stories of its journey isn't it. Have a wonderful Sunday xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. One always feels better after a bit of a declutter.
    Such a pretty plate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the explanation of the registration mark on china. I never knew about that before. It looks to be a pretty design on that plate.

    It does feel good to declutter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is good to have a good sort through things. Thanks for the explanation of the mark on your lovely plate:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a whole world about which I know nothing: china markings.
    It does make you wonder, though. The Missouri reference is odd, and why would "m" signify June? Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great find! I wonder if it's a reference to the design?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a pretty dish to find in your kitchen.
    But why does the M on the left mean June ?

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, I'm deep in the decluttering of my entire house, and it's a task that is going to take quite a while yet. Such a beautiful plate, it's good to have it down where you can admire it for a little bit ;)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm, I don't have the urge to declutter at all. But then it's not nice and warm here! Maybe once spring comes...

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...