Monday, January 25, 2016

Monday Warm-up

To all of you still stuck in the snow and cold I feel bad, it's around 60º here today and just beautiful.  This seems to be my year of making soups, prior to the Bean and Bacon I made last fall I'd never made soup before.  Not quite sure why, maybe I thought it was too much work.  But after studying the sodium levels in canned soup I knew it was time to start making my own.
Today's soup is Leek, Potato and Broccoli and it tastes delicious.  I'll probably throw a little ham in it just to satisfy my carnivore urges.
I finished my second volume of William Manchester's biography of Winston Churchill and it was as good as the first volume showing Winston in his days of being an outcast in the '30s and ends when he becomes Prime Minister in 1940.  I've studied very little about this period of time and often wondered why countries didn't stand up to Hitler before he'd taken over most of Europe.  It's hard, in this day and age, to understand the desire for peace being so strong that they'd literally let millions be enslaved to avoid war.
The book read almost like a mystery, who'll do what next, who'll stand up, who'll bury their head in the sand.  There were some real villains in this book and I'm not talking about Hitler.  I think I have a much better understanding of the root causes of World War II, not just the terms of the Versailles Treaty as I always thought.
Well it's time to work on my friend the afghan again.

10 comments:

  1. Enjoy - if that is the right word for this type of reading - your reading and learning. I love homemade soup, it is delicious isn't it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also made broccoli soup today with potato, but spring onions, shallots, and English stilton cheese, also spicey bits and bobs that I threw in too - snap

    ReplyDelete
  3. I probably could not get into reading that book even though I love history. I've wondered the same thing about Hitler. How did it reach that point, that he had such control. Anyhow, glad you matched the red yarn. And the soup sounds good. I've never been a big soup maker either but I sure want to start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The soup looks good and the book sounds good too. A double hit. I may have to try them both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have been making soups too, we have several recipes that we make and freeze leftovers for a quick meal when we don't want to cook. We are trying some new recipes. Your book sounds interesting and probably one I should read:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love soup and you are right homemade is best because as nice as some of the soups you can buy from the chillers in the supermarket are they are very high in salt. The book sounds interesting and intriguing:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soup is great at any time and homemade soup is always right!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does that mean you were able to match the red yarn? Hope so! Your soup looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Soup looks good, Janet and homemade is so much nicer. xx

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...