Friday, January 1, 2016

New Year's Day

So quiet, no fireworks, no popping corks, just some silly frogs peeping out in the garden.  It is finally cooled down here, no more 80's, it was in the low 60's and it felt wonderful.  My daffodils are are coming up, some of the azaleas are blooming and little spring peepers think it's spring.  Hope they all don't end up freezing.
Mac has quite a jungle growing in the laundry room window.  I'm a bit worried about the Amaryllis, it grows more than an inch a day and is getting so thick.  It rather reminds me of the movie Little Shop of Horrors and I worry when I go in there.
The Jungle




The Amaryllis

The picture in the corner is a Japanese New Year's card our daughter gave us.  It's the year of the monkey which makes her happy, she was born in the year of the monkey.  I was born in the year of the dog and Mac in the year of the rooster.

8 comments:

  1. You have Mac's beautiful painting in your new header. Just wonderful.
    Yes, year of the Monkey. Remember to wear as much red as you can.

    When I was little and was growing up in Arizona I loved javelinas. Then I found out I was
    born it the year of the Boar ! YeaHaww !

    cheers, parsnip and thehamish

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was born in the Year of the rabbit. Love the Chickadee painting! Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't keep a good amaryllis down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the little robin in a Santa hat! I'm so glad it cooled off today, too, and the humidity has fallen. We were at the beach on Edisto Island with friends for the day. Too bad it rained most of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have 2 Amaryllis from last year, at the moment there are only the leaves, I hope to see signs of flower stems soon. I did pot them on and put them outside for the summer, I may have been too late bringing them in. I completely forgot to bring the Hyacinths back in and decided to leave them out till next autumn. Many of my spring bulbs are up and showing flower spikes, if we get a cold snap I will have to cover them with fleece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year. I love Amaryllis, my friend bought me one for Christmas again this year
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is there ever the year of the hare? I adore hares and would love to have been born in such a year.

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...