Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Early Mother's Day

Salad
Mother's Day is Sunday, but I hate crowds and even more I hate crowds full of "energetic" (boy aren't I polite) children--I taught school for too many years to enjoy the company of those drastically younger than me.  So I asked Mac to take me out to lunch today instead.  Not a big fan of chain restaurants, but Italian restaurants are few and far between in our neck of the woods, so Olive Garden it was.
It was nice, empty and only one squealing child in the distance--in the bar area no less.
We started with their never ending salad bowl, which was quite nice, good unobtrusive Italian dressing.

Appetizers
Next a trio of appetizers to begin with: Calamari, Stuffed Mushrooms and Deep-fried Beef Raviolis.  The best that could be said was that they were ok.  The calamari were all breading, the mushrooms were drowning in cheese and why the heck would you deep fry a ravioli?
Spaghetti
Shrimp Scampi
Then came our main courses, Mac had spaghetti with marinara sauce and Italian sausage.  I had Shrimp Scampi cooked in a garlic sauce with tomatoes, asparagus and angel hair pasta.  Both were quite good, but huge portions, we brought about 3 lbs. of them home.  There was no room for dessert.



When we got home Mac gave me part of my Mother's Day gift, a beautiful asparagus dish made by Royal Winton.


I told Mac that the food was good, but the company was better.  All in all a nice day.



7 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a nice time. My husband and I enjoy the soup/salad/breadsticks lunch at Olive Garden. I haven't actually eaten any other food there in years. I was very disappointed when they took my two favorite dishes off the menu, so I guess I haven't felt like trying anything else there. Happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your table runner is lovely, too. I am a fan of filet crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The company is the most important. Happy Mothers Day, we actually celebrate in March and then Fathers Day in June. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's a good idea to celebrate before the day itself, places are always heaving otherwise. Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you we try to go out when the children are in school as life seems so much quieter then. Shame you didn't enjoy the meal so much as usual but as you say wonderful company and a lovely present too:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't be able to tackle such large plates of food either, but I do admire your asparagus dish which is just right for now as it is now in season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As long as the company was good!! Your new dish is pretty isn't it!

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...