Friday, May 6, 2016

Five on Friday

What a beautiful week it's been.  The temperatures have moderated and it's only in the 70's and it's wonderful.  Woke up way too early this morning, we've turned into such slug-a-beds since we retired.
When we were out and about Wednesday we went to Home Depot and bought a load of plants for the garden and yesterday we got them in,
So it's Friday and it's time to join in with Amy at Love Made My Home and all the other Friday bloggers for Five on Friday.

First let's take a look at the new plants in the garden.

More Zinnias, they're doubles

Tickseed

A

Tickseed

And even more Tickseeds, they're perennials

Our Lantana tree, butterflies love it!

Plumbago, the one that always reminds me of my lumbago

Another type of lily, not an Arrun, but similar

Gladiolas about 2 months early

Gardenias and they smell heavenly





Second are the books I'm reading this week:  The Sittaford Affair by Agatha Christie.  This is a reread because we saw the tv movie and I wanted to see how different it was from the book.  Very, in ways, definitely no Miss Marple in the book.  Next Some Luck by Jane Smiley, the first in a trilogy about a farm family in Iowa that begins in 1920.  And The Bookseller by Cynthia Swanson which is about a woman who has a life she's dreaming and a life when she's awake.  Just started that one.  I just finished The Secred Chord by Geraldine Brooks and award winning author.  It was the story of King David from the bible.  It was good, but not as good as some of her other books: March, The People of the Book.


Next, heard on my MP3 player this morning while I was exercising:

Love Shack by the B-52's

It's 3 AM by Matchbox 20

Better Dig 2  by The Band Perry

Thank God I'm A Country Boy   by John Denver


Fourth is our lunch today, it's going to be light and easy.  A Spanish tortilla for me and grilled salmon for Mac and a small mixed salad for both of us.  We always have a salad.  When we don't have one, as happens sometimes when we're eating out,  I feel like I haven't really eaten.

Fifth is a sheepdog Mac gave me years ago and a few of the sheep he takes care of.





Hope you're going to have a beautiful weekend!











14 comments:

  1. Our gardenia bush is very heavy with blossoms....that are quickly fading to brown. The fragrance can be a bit nauseating if up close working in the area. And a Lantana Tree....never seen a "TREE" before...I want one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun stuff! I think I'd like the Jane Smiley book. And a Lantana TREE?? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some lovely plants growing in your garden. The Lantana tree sounds great, I adore butterflies and am trying to plant bee and butterfly friendly plants in my pots at the moment. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The gardenia looks beautiful, I love the smell. I am impressed by gladiola this early in the season. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden is going to be beautiful this summer with these wonderful new flowers and plants! Love your sheepdog with the sheep! Thank you for joining Five On Friday this week, hope you have an enjoyable weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never smelled a gardenia and I know I'm missing out. They're lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's great to see all the plants flowering again isn't it, such a great time of year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute sheepdog and sheep! Love all the flower pictures. Things are certainly growing in your part of the world.

    Have a lovely weekend

    ReplyDelete
  9. The land looks very dry where you are. Hope the flowers grow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those gardenias are gorgeous! My goodness, yes! And I'm a big believer that one can never have too many sheep. LOL (PS, I'm an Elinor Dashwood in three quizzes!) Thanks for stopping in today. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Five lovely things. the gardenia looks beautiful and the old english sheepdog and his friends are very cute. Have a lovely weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely to see all your plants, the gladioli are very early. They went out of fashion somewhat over here, they were classed as an old fashioned flower and I think you either love them or hate them. I love them. Mick's uncle grows them on his allotment and he always brings me cut flowers for the house. The Sittaford Mystery is the eleventh book that Agatha Christie wrote, so quite early in her career, it's one I thoroughly enjoyed. I haven't seen the TV adaptation. I've nominated you for an award, you can find out about it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have such lovely plants in your garden .I have a lantana but it's like a vine not a tree. I'm hoping out well attract butterflies. Happy mothers day to you! Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh you do have some lovely plants and blooms in your garden.

    Hope your weekend is going well.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...