Thursday, May 19, 2016

Germany Part III

Our last posting to Germany was to Stuttgart and we liked it so much we extended our tour to stay longer.  Stuttgart means 2 things to me: Ritter Sport Chocolate and Porsche.  Can't afford the Posrches, but oh I did indulge in the chocolate.
Ritter Sport factory, our daughter's
class went on a field trip there
Stuttgart also marks my first time driving in Germany, prior to that it was shank's mare or Mac to transport me.  But I got an International license, Mac got an old clunker to drive and I had our Volkswagen Beetle.  Did I like driving in Germany?  Mostly it just scared me.  The roads were great, but the German drivers are very aggressive and will frequently blink their lights at you to get you to move over.  Scary.
But we enjoyed Stuttgart, great Christmas Market, also made it to the one in Nürnberg ---had to drive through quite a snowstorm to get to that one.
We traveled lots in Bavaria and saw all of "Mad" Ludwig's castles, Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau and Linderhof.
Visited Munich and fell in love with their museums: the Alte Pinkothek and Deutsche Museum the largest science museum in the world.   Could have spent a week in that one.
Never went to Oktober Fest, we don't do crowds, but we did make it to the Hof Brau Haus to drink a beer or two.

Hard to say which was our favorite assignment, each city was special and we're very lucky to have been able to live there.

Neuschwanstein

Hohenschwangau

Linderhof

13 comments:

  1. We had some wonderful holidays in Bavaria too and drove through to get to Italy for some wonderful Summer holidays. We are planning to do some of the Christmas Markets this year, hopefully. I too got my international driving licence in Germany the autobahns were a delight to drive although like you say hair raising at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to visit Bavaria one of these days. Both the scenery and all the lovely medieval towns and villages attract me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bavaria was beautiful. We camped down there for several weeks when Mac had to take a course at Bad Tolz.


      Delete
  3. I'd love to visit some of the German markets, I know they have them over here now but I'd like to see the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Christmas markets are wonderful. They're one of the things I miss the most.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like a delightful place live with all the history and attractions. Have a wonderful day, Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have traveled a bit in Germany, mainly to visit close family friends in Berlin and Frankfort. You were lucky to get to live there and know it more intimately. You were very brave to drive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't believe I did drive. Before we moved on post we lived out in the boonies on top of a hill. Every day when I drove down there was fog a d I'd crawl down the hill. There was no place to pass and by the time I'd get to the bottom of the hill I'd have between 10 and 20 very unhappy drivers.

      Delete
  6. I'd love to visit the German Christmas markets, only been to the one in Manchester, England. I'll be in Germany next month for a weekend with my girlfriends in Bonn. We'll visit Cologne on the Saturday, did you ever go there? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been there a time or two, beautiful city.

      Delete
    2. We've been there a time or two, beautiful city.

      Delete
  7. Next time you come, you need to visit the Northern and Eastern parts, they are just as beautiful as the South but most Americans only ever go to Bavaria. Which is quite different from the rest of the country.

    If you want to visit Aachen, that's not far from where I live. :)

    Marianne from
    Let's Read

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...