Thursday, September 1, 2016

Batten Down the Hatches

It looks like the worst of Tropical Storm Hermine will miss us, but they're saying it's possible we'll get from 3-5 inches of rain.  So we went out grocery shopping to pick up anything we thought we might need in the next couple of days so we won't have to be on the road during the storm.
All is well here at the Little House in the Swamp, we are moving slowly towards Fall, a couple of days in the 80's and if it were not for the 97% humidity it'd feel pretty good.
Finished a really good book last night, The Unseen World by Liz Moore.  It's the story of Ada an only child raised by her father, there was a surrogate mother who played no part in her raising.  Her father is a mathematical genius and heads the lab at BIT (a stand-in for MIT) where he's helping to develop Artificial Intelligence.  But he develops early onset Alzheimer and her whole world changes. She loses her father in more than one way when she starts to find out he's not who she thought he was.  Really enjoyed this book, went to look for more by the author.
Have a cross-stitch project I want to start today if time permits.

14 comments:

  1. Rain is good a bit at a time...that many inches at once not so much but at least it is moisture! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been following the storm reports on the news and I am glad that you are out of harm's way for the most part. It does look to be a serious storm. Stay safe - I'll be thinking of you. x Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're doing the sensible thing, stocking up so that you can stay put whilst the worst of it passes by. Looking forward to hearing more about your cross stitch project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope everyone will stay safe and be as sensible as you!

    Just read your previous post - what an exciting trip you have coming up. My dad loves to talk about his time in Korea (during the war) - apparently the winter was pretty fierce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to hear you are prepared if the storm comes your safe. The book souns like a good read. Stay safe dear friend, Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stay safe! You are very smart to plan ahead so you don't have to drive in the rain. I do the same when we have snowstorms predicted for here. Hopefully you have another good book to read while you are housebound.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stay safe! That book sounds interesting. I have so many books on my tablet that I vowed not to check out any new ones until I read them all, otherwise I think I would be wanting to purchase this one.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep safe indoors, I hate getting wet, but the gardens will be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a good day to be indoors today. we don't need anything and it's nice not to have to brave the deluge. Top of the list -- plenty to read!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Been reading about Hermine in the news over here - hurricanes/tropical storms are another thing I'm glad we don't have to contend with over here. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes ... news of Hermine has featured on UK news.

    You did the sensible thing and got in plenty of supplies.
    Stay safe

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad Hermine missed us as well! It seems people all over the place were a lot more worried about it than I was (than I had to be, luckily) - I got emails, texts, and messages from all over the world checking if we were alright.

    I'm ready for pumpkins, too!

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...