Friday, September 30, 2016

Five on Friday

Our daughter
My first Five on Friday for a while as we've been traveling. Thanks to Amy at Love Made My Home for hosting this. We just finished a 17 day trip to Japan, Korea and Cambodia.  Our daughter lives in the city of Fukuoka, Japan.  It is located on the southern most island of Japan, Kyushu.  It is a city of more than a million, but never felt like a big city, very walkable, and our daughter saw to it that we did lots of that.  When she was very young we use to  walk her feet off, this trip she returned the favor.
First impressions of Japan, it's clean, quiet and the people are so polite, I will never get use to people bowing to me.    The subways are clean, no loud talkers on cell phones.  They dress very stylishly, but in subdued colors: grey, black, beige, brown and white.
Our daughter lives in a small studio apartment down by the bay, so we stayed in a hotel, The Richmond in Tenjin, the main shopping district.  Our hotel was very modern, though rooms were small, we had a corner room that gave us great views. it was a great location, about a block from the subway and loads of shopping.
The first day she took us walking to sort of orientate us
I believe this was the Nakagawa River one of several rivers running through the city.
to the city and we walked miles past shrines, shopping arcades and to Canal City a huge outdoor shopping mall.
The Richmond Hotel

Canal City
Model of a float used in one of their festivals

A canal across from our hotel where we walked the first day

One of many temple dogs we were to see

Godzilla, my hero, just missed a big exhibit on the history of his movies.



More views of Kushido Shrine, a Shinto shrine that we visited the first day.


You wash your hands and purify yourself before addressing the shrine




More than five, but we saw so much, do go visit all the others participating at Five on Friday.














17 comments:

  1. It looks like you enjoyed your trip! It looks very interesting. I love trips :) I hope you can stop by:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2016/09/tea-time-homecoming-and-cream-puff-cake.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly is beautiful. I have a friend whose son is still there, twenty years later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks fabulous. I think the best way to see any area is on foot, just think of all the lovely things you'd have missed had your daughter not walked your feet off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A spectacular trip, lucky you! Isn't it useful having children who move to exciting places. Glad you enjoyed your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing trip, looks wonderful. Looking forward to hearing more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The canals are interesting as I don't associate canals with Japan. If it's not being too nosy, I am wondering what kind of work your daughter does there and how long she has been in Japan. Such a great opportunity for a young person to live in a very different culture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's in IT and works for a publishing company that edits scientific papers for publication in English. She's been there about 2 1/2 years and absolutely loves it.

      Delete
  7. I loved seeing these photos from your trip! Japan is on my list to countries to see one day. My daughter visited Japan during a high school exchange program. I'm looking forward to seeing and learning more about this amazing trip you had! Hope you get some rest. Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Japan is a place I'd love to visit and your photos are wonderful!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a fascinating place with such a different culture to ours. I'll get there one day! B x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha, ha, she walked YOUR feet off! How wonderful that you could visit your daughter in Japan, so happy that you were able to do so.
    I love the idea of somewhere where the people are polite and they don't talk loudly on their cellphones. Sounds heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So interesting to read and look at your post.
    Sounds a wonderful visit, and so lovely to spend time with your daughter.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such an amazing trip. thank you for sharing.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  13. Came in from Heron view. I had a chance once to go to Japan and like fool I turn it down.
    But so glad you enjoyed your trip.
    If you find the time stop by my blog for cup of coffee

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very interesting sights, thanks for dragging us along ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have made me homesick ! I miss Japan.
    I love the look of Canal City. Beautiful.
    If I wasn't so ill I would live in Japan.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  16. Isn't that a little boring when everybody behaves so perfectly ? But it is certainly a beautiful country to visit !
    BTW I love your header !!

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...