Friday, September 9, 2016

Five on Friday

Friday really crept up on me this week.  We're busy getting ready for our trip and that's all that's on my mind.  So that's my theme this week, trips and trip planning.

1.  Find out if you need a visa for the country you're going to be visiting.  We're so use to traveling to Europe where we never need one that we almost forgot to check on the countries we're visiting this time.  No visa for Japan or Korea, but we had to have one for Cambodia.   Our daughter found us an online site to get them, just had to submit passport size pictures in jpg. format.  Got them in a little more than a day.

2.  Get rail passes, they're cheaper when purchased outside the country.  Again our daughter, who lives in Japan, directed us to the site to get them and they FedExed them to us in under a week.  We then take them to the central train station in her town, Fukuoka, and exchange them for the actual passes.

3.  Recommended vaccinations.  Again, we're use to Europe and never need any vaccinations beyond what we take normally.  But Cambodia was a bit more of a challenge.  Our daughter took the Hepatitis A shots, our doctor said that if we were careful we shouldn't need them.  But he did order Cipro for us, an antibiotic, to take at the first sign of fever or infection.  He also recommended something for diarrhea, Lomotil.   I told him I probably wouldn't eat while we were in Cambodia, he laughed.

4.  What to do during a long layover.  We have a lengthy layover in Korea and Mac found out that the airport runs free tours into Inchon or Seoul for those with layovers and he made us reservation.
He also booked us a private guide for Angkor Wat in Cambodia.

5.  Let your credit card companies know you'll be out of the country so they won't be surprised by an overseas use of your card and block it.

One last thought, we're often asked if we use tour services to plan our trips and in ways we do, we use Trip Advisor and read loads of traveller reviews and pictures.  It's a big help


That's my Five on Friday.  Do join Amy at Love Made Home and the other bloggers to see what they're up to.










24 comments:

  1. Great tips here. I ought to jot them down in my Travel Filofax!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds as if you have all aspects of your visit covered, you are going to have a wonderful time:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are well prepared. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me realize how long ago it was since I last went "anywhere at at all". Well... As I'm not planning anything of that kind in the near future either, I can relax :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for letting us know what's important when venturing out of our safe little world. Hope you and yours have a happy and wonderful time, with lots of pictures to share with us homebodies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a wonderful trip and I'm already looking forward to your future posts and photographs. How great that the airport arrange tour services for long layovers. I wonder if other airports around the world do this as it is such a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you have covered all the bases. I enjoy preparing ahead for a trip almost as much as the trip itself. Not packing though--I'm never sure I have brought the right things. It's nice you have your daughter to advise and help out with the logistics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some great tips. I hope you have a great time and all the travelling goes like clockwork.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Exiting! I can't wait to read about the trip when you are back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds wonderful. I'm very excited for you. Have never been our of USA, but I found you tips very useful it that ever happens.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've obviously prepared very well for your trip - which by the way sounds really exciting! It does pay to plan ahead a bit I find, although, like you, I like a bit of flexibility too. I'd love to see Angkor Wat. Hope you'll post some pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've obviously prepared very well for your trip - which by the way sounds really exciting! It does pay to plan ahead a bit I find, although, like you, I like a bit of flexibility too. I'd love to see Angkor Wat. Hope you'll post some pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You seem to have all your t's crossed and have dotted your i's!! Great list of tips here Janet. I wish I was travelling somewhere to put them all to good use ;)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so excited for you to go on this wonderful trip and write about your adventures! Have a wonderful weekend, Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. awwww so exciting !
    When I was in Japan I would get the "tourist really cheap rail passes". I still have all the stamps from the different stations we when through.
    You will be interested on how wonderful the airports are in Japan. Very unlike the airport in the U.S. The food is great and be sure to have a Japanese ice cream parfait.
    If we don't comment before you leave have a wonderful time with your daughter. I know you miss her and this will be a fabulous time for all of you.
    Shiawasena tabi (happy trip )

    cheers, parsnip and thehamish

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea to have the chance to do a tour during along layover. Much better than sitting around in the airport. Juliette and I use TriAdvisor all the time when we are travelling, it's brilliant. We're off to Denmark at the end of this month, first time in Scandinavia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never been to Scandinavia, northern Germany is about as close as we've ever gotten.

      Delete
  17. You must be getting excited now. We haven't travelled outside the UK since 2008 so no planning for us these days.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great tips here for any fellow travellers!
    Good planning helps with any trip near or far!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh you have a fantastic big trip coming up. We just started watching a documentary about Japan last night and there were some beautiful places. I only imagined busy cities but the countryside was wonderful.
    Looking forward to reading about your trip - and your ability to survive Cambodia without eating!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You sound so well organised for your trip that I am beginning to question whether I have done enough preparations for our own upcoming trip, but I still have another month to go.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great travel advice! Hope you have an amazing time! There will be so much to share when you return!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Friday crept up on me too. So much so, that I didn't post until Saturday! Glad Amy leaves it open for a day or so. I have to admit, and I hate this about me, I am the WORST trip planner. I am. I get nervous making reservations online inside the USA. I can't imagine another country. My parents, sister and I went to Italy a few years back and my sister made all of the reservations and did a great job. I think, if someone offered classes on planning trips online, I'd take the class. (as long as the class wasn't online!) I hope you have a wonderful time. I don't even know the difference between a Visa and a Passport! I guess I need to research. Thanks for the trip tips though.

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...