Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Wednesday in the Swamp

Haven't blogged in days, I honestly do not know where the time goes.  It's been lovely weather since the tropical storm went through and I'm loving it.  Also got our electric bill for August and I was happy with it.  Our house is all electric and I try to be thrifty with the air conditioner, but when it's hot, it's hot and I want air conditioning.  So to get a reasonable bill after we'd used the air conditioning so much was a pleasant surprise.
When I've gotten my work, exercise and piano practice done for the day I've been busy with the cross stitching project.  I watched several You Tube videos and read some blogs.  You'd think you just make X's and off you go, but it turns out it's a bit more complicated than that.  You start in the middle and work left to right and make half an X, in other words a whole line of /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////. Then you work from right to left to make the X's.  So \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/
That's easy enough, it's counting the spaces in between that's blinding me.  They're so tiny.  But I'm making progress and I'm pleased.
Today it was off to the commissary, a commissary that's being remodeled while we shop, the aisles are so narrow now that there's barely room for one shopping cart.  What a mess!  And we found out that this is going to be going on for a year, YIKES!  But then, as Mac said, it beats having them close it while they remodel.  Then we'd have to drive out to Ft. Stewart which is much further away and a total pill to get to.  So a little inconvenience versus a big inconvenience.


15 comments:

  1. You'll soon get used to cross stitch, once you've placed that first X it gets easier as you can count where the others go in relation to that one. It's lovely watching the picture come together, a bit like a jigsaw in a way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pleased that you are now enjoying more amenable weather as I know that the heat has been getting you down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were back in the 90s today, but I have really enjoyed the weather the last few days, after the storm. We've gone to the beach to walk in the mornings and lingered to read a book, and ridden our bikes in the evenings. I have so much more energy when the humidity is down.
    Looking forward to seeing your cross stitch project. I used to do it a lot but I can't do it anymore. Too hard the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy to hear your weather is better.
    Your the second person who is doing a cross stitch that they have to, or she , had to start in the middle and work out. Something she has never done.
    Good luck !
    Is your packing done. I always take one suitcase for me and one for all the gifts I am taking there. Then I fill it up with all the great items I take back.

    cheers, parsnip and thehamish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You decided to go with starting in the middle then:) I've just finished a little piece and made it into a pin keep. Will have to out a photo on my blog. Glad your temps are more comfortable now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you've got going with your cross stitch. Also that it's been a little cooler for you and that your electricity bill wasn't too huge. I'm really appreciating the air conditioning in our hotel at the moment:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad that you're enjoying better weather and you feel more comfortable, that the electric bill was less than you thought it might be and that you're getting used to doing the cross stitch. It's enjoyable to do something creative like that. I'm feeling satisfied that I'm getting better at doing my new crochet pattern. I can pick it up and then leave it when my eye, hands and arms get tired. Wishing you a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like the weather is a little easier to bear now and it's good your electricity bill wasn't too high:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah for an okay electric bill! They make different count cross stitch fabric, some are really small and hard to see. And yes that is the way it works...you have it down perfectly. Our Commisary is 3 1/2 hours away and if you factor in the gas it is not worth it to drive that far. The last time we were there prices were not much different that the local grocery store :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're lucky to have 2 bases, Hunter Army AirField in Savannah, where we shop and Ft. Stewart out in Hinesville. Some things are cheaper, meat, coffee, spices, condiments, canned goods, but other thing are higher. We go about once a month and supplement with house brands from a local store.

      Delete
  10. I'm glad you're finally having more comfortable weather there. I love to cross-stitch but you're right, it can be very hard on the eyes! Some people like to use lights with magnifying lenses to look through, maybe that would be helpful for you. I'm right there with you on conserving electricity...I do some weird things in the name of a smaller power bill. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mum was always busy with embroidery, both cross-stitch and other kinds. Me - never! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to hear you didn't get "sticker shock" when you saw the electric bill. We are still trying to get used to what is "normal" down here so each one so far has been a sticker shock one, but you are right, you got to be comfortable with the air conditioning, even if you use it judiciously.

    I used to do counted cross stitch years ago; it was a challenge but made some cute things with it.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  13. I giggled at your squinting to see the spaces...ah, yes, now I remember cross-stitching in the 90's, but for sure I did it wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pleased to read your temperatures have been so much better, and good news with the electricity bill!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...