Before I deluge you with photos a few facts about the park
• Yellowstone was the first National Park, dedicated in 1872
• It's huge measuring 63 miles north to south and 54 miles east to west.
• It covers nearly 3500 sq. miles
• It's larger than the states of Rhode Island and Delaware combined
• It's highest elevation is 11,358 feet and it's lowest is 5282 feet and you really feel that elevation
when you're out hiking around.
• The basin is a huge caldera ( that's when a volcano collapses into itself) measuring 45 miles by
• It has 1,000 to 3,000 earthquakes a year
• It has more than 500 active geysers
• It has 290 waterfalls
ª It has bears, bison, elk, deer, antelope, lynx, wolves, coyote and so much more
• It has snow, even in May!
|The view from our cabin on May 17|
|The Norris Basin, some of the walkways were still covered in ice|
|Buffalo crossing the road with its calf, they're called Red Dogs and are one of the first signs of spring in Yellowstone.|
We just missed a group of 4 grey wolves, but Mac had seen one the day before.