Monday, May 22, 2017

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity Jig

We've been to Montana to visit the northern end of Yellowstone National Park.  It was wonderful.  Though we'd visited Wyoming and the southern end of the park before we'd never made it to the northern end of the park, the park is huge.
Before I deluge you with photos a few facts about the park

•  Yellowstone was the first National Park, dedicated in 1872

•  It's huge measuring 63 miles north to south and 54 miles east to west.

•  It covers nearly 3500 sq. miles

•  It's larger than the states of Rhode Island and Delaware combined

•  It's highest elevation is 11,358 feet and it's lowest is 5282 feet and you really feel that elevation
   when you're out hiking around.

•  The basin is a huge caldera ( that's when a volcano collapses into itself) measuring  45 miles by
    30 miles

•  It has 1,000 to 3,000 earthquakes a year

•  It has more than 500 active geysers

•  It has 290 waterfalls

ª  It has bears, bison, elk, deer, antelope, lynx, wolves, coyote and so much more

•  It has snow, even in May!

The view from our cabin on May 17

Our cabin



The Norris Basin, some of the walkways were still covered in ice



Buffalo crossing the road with its calf, they're called Red Dogs and are one of the first signs of spring in Yellowstone.






  • We saw White Pelicans, Canadian Geese, Blue Herons, a  Bald Eagle, Magpie, Osprey and its nest, Sand Hill Cranes---they make the strangest sounds and I totally messed up my picture of them---and beautiful Mountain Blue Birds

Elk


We just missed a group of 4 grey wolves, but Mac had seen one the day before.




And best of all there were black bears.  We watched a Mother bear with her two cubs, we saw another bear ambling down a valley and then right next to the car we saw a bear eating.


We had a wonderful trip and have already decided that we'll have to go back again.

15 comments:

  1. This does look wonderful....I haven't been in Yellowstone since '95 and I doubt I will ever make it back, but I have wonderful memories...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back.
    So pleased to read about your trip.

    Fancy having snow in May - different from your muggy temperatures.
    Great to see your photo's, and yes, you must have thoroughly enjoyed it, to already be planning on going back!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks fabulous. I'm sure the snow was a bit of relief for you after the temperatures you've had back home. I watched a programme about Yellowstone a couple of years ago and it was so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realise Yellowstone was so big. That must be amazing to see buffalo and bears roaming free.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would love to visit Yellowstone - it looks to have been a lovely trip

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pictures bring it all to life. Not sure I would want to get up close to the black bears! We went through the park from north to south on a road trip in 2000. Loved it. During college, my husband and his band were Yellowstone Park's "boy band" in the summer of 1967. He had a ball. They played all over the park and were housed in the Old Faithful Inn. Ahhh, the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one place I have never been and would like to visit. What a lovely trip you had.
    I seem to have visited Yosemite the most winter and summer. Just beyond beautiful.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  8. My parents visited Yellowstone and loved it. Maybe one day I'll be able to go, too. It looks fantastic, all those free roaming animals, so exiting. The snow I could do without :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My former boss goes hiking in Yellowstone every few years. I've seen his pictures...it looks fantastic! How cool to see all these different animals. I can't get over the photo of the buffalo crossing the road, with the car right there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a beautiful place! We have been there twice. Sounds like you had a good time:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't realise Yellowstone was so big though I knew it would be beautiful. I have been nearby but not to that specific area.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I didn't know it was that big! I love the animal pictures you featured. Good job spotting that bluebird! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for taking us along, I have never been there and would love to see it all in person.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous Yellowstone.. We cannot visit Yellowstone as my hubby has severe sulfa allergy ... :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've just been looking at a blogger friend's photos of a sunny beach holiday where the accommodation leads straight onto the sand so your cabin photos and view are a real contrast, but just as wonderful. In fact, what you saw must have been amazing. Great photos of the atmospheric landscape and creatures roaming around.

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...