Thursday, August 10, 2017

When It Rains It Pours

And we're not talking salt here.  It has rained nearly every day this summer, sometimes a little, sometimes a LOT.  Yesterday was "a LOT" day.  It rained more than 2 1/4 inches in under an hour.  Our swamp is turning into a bog.  A small tree that was damaged by Matthew last fall finally gave up the ghost and fell into the lagoon.  The ground was just too soaked to support it any more.
It was a loud booming storm, at one point had the strangest sounding thunder I've ever heard.  Our tv went out, naturally, it's on satellite and any kind of bad weather knocks it out.  Then the phone and internet went out.  The internet was intermittent until evening, the phone, when it came back on, was so full of static it would have been impossible to use.  It's much better today.
I have a cell phone, but reception here is poor because of all the trees so we more or less rely on the landline.
Yesterday was a heavy lunch, I fixed Sweet and Sour Pork with Fried Rice.  Today it's BLT sandwiches.
The air was drier this morning so I did a load of laundry and hung it outside.  With no warning it started raining a little while ago and Mac rushed out to bring the clothes in (that's the deal, I hang the clothes out, he brings them in).  They hadn't dried at all and they'd been out there for hours.  So another load in the dryer.

Read a horrible headline today, something to really give you nightmares.  A majority of Republicans would back Pres. Trump if he postponed the 2020 elections.  How scary is that?

18 comments:

  1. The weather patterns have definitely changed here in the Kansas City area.... no over 100 degree August days and rain in cycles. Saturday we had 3.5 inches of rain ... we are high so no flooding but there were lots of areas that did and for not the first time this summer!!
    No we aren't ones who would back Trump at any time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rain has missed us for I don't know how many days, it's so dry here. Sorry about the poor tree.
    Mmm, sweet and sour pork, I could go for that!

    I sure hope that business with Trump never reaches fruition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've certainly had our fair share of rain this summer, nothing like 2 1/4 inches in under an hour though. It's been sunny today, for a change, so we had a trip out to the coast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, that is a scary headline! We are having a lot of rain here too - it's school holidays and the weather has been dreadful. If it's not actually raining, it's overcast and grey most of the time and on Tuesday evening it was so miserable that we lit the candles and drank hot chocolate - most unseasonal. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's raining everywhere in the world at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how I wish Sue! Out here in Idaho we are hot n' dry. I can't tell you the last time it rained here and today we have a cooling trend of 97 degrees. Blah. If you've got some extra rain please send it our way! :)

      Delete
  6. Eeek! Scary is right.
    We're in the Sunshine State missing the SC rain. When we drove down 95 yesterday past your neck of the swamp we waved. Hope you saw us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered who that was waving, hope your Mom is doing ok.

      Delete
  7. I hate it when I hang the washing out and have to bring it in because of rain. Today I did two big loads and happily the whole lot is now bone dry.
    I am a fan of sweet and sour dishes too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, please, please say it ain't so! How did we get to this place? I just got through snapping at a family member about that giant loon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that was a lot of rain! I shudder every time our Internet goes down (which is very rare) but since I work at home and depend on it, its essential for my literal day to day operation.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find Mr T very scary in fact I find lots of news scary at the moment. Your storm sounds awful, glad you have phone and tv etc back how ever did we manage without all these things? Rain on and off here too:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. With our inclement weather conditions I have resorted to drying washing in the dryer. Forget nice smelling laundry, at least I don't get wet fetching it in.
    I find my head shaking in bewilderment whenever Mr T comes on our telly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, that really stinks about your tree. :( I wish we would get some of your rain. I am thankful tho that our wildfires out here haven't been so totally out of control. Our cooling trend today? 97 degrees. Thank goodness for air conditioning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry you've had so much rain. And that is scary news indeed, which also also makes me reflect upon how news is presented over here, it's a lot about the US decided this or Mr T said that - but not so much about how citizens react who do/did not support him. (Blogs a better source for that!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hate storms that takes out my internet-it is like my lifeline! We have had lots of rain here this summer season, too. I am wondering what winter will bring-if that rain translates to snow we are in big trouble.
    This thing with Korea is just plain scary....xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  15. I only hope the rain will go away before the eclipse. I plan on driving to Toccoa that day. I am taking the day off work. If it rains, all bets are off!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's been raining almost every day here, too. But this is Florida, it's supposed to rain every afternoon in the summer. You know you're a Floridian when it rains in the morning and you make a comment about how "weird" that is.

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...