Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Better Day

No phone fights today, but received a nice email.  With all the hullabaloo around Hurricane Irma we forgot to cancel a room reservation we'd made in Atlanta to celebrate our anniversary.  So after the storm a charge showed up on our charge card for almost $200, they were charging us for one of the nights, RATS.  So Saturday Mac called the hotel, it's the Renaissance Concourse Hotel at the airport---we like to watch planes, and talked to Lakeisha.  She said we weren't the only people this  had happened to, but the bookkeeper wasn't  there on Saturdays.  She took our number and said they'd be in touch.  Monday Mac called them back, again talked to Lakeisha who asked for our email address.  Later that day we received an email showing they had refunded our money, how nice, so a big thank you to everyone at the Marriott Renaissance Concourse Hotel.
Today it was back out to the garden to uncover civilizations covered by weeds.  It was hot, we're supposed to be almost 90º today so I was only able to uncover the Victoria garden, perhaps tomorrow I'll uncover the Georgian garden.
Watched a rather quirky little movie the other night, The Trip with Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon.   I think it was actually a tv show in England, but Netflix presented it as a film.  Quite funny in a low key sort of way.  They play themselves, Coogan has been asked to tour 6 restaurants in Northern England and review the food.  He'd planned on going with his girlfriend, but they'd split up, so he asks his friend Rob to go in her place.
There are 2 more series of it where they go to Italy and Spain, I will be looking for them too.
We've watched the episodes of Midsomer Murders so often we've memorized the dialogue so we decided it was time for something new, so we're trying Hamish McBeth, which we like, Pie in the Sky, and Doc Martin.  The last we're just not sure about yet.  Too much drama and not enough comedy, but we'll see.

Changed my header today, it's time for pumpkins, love this painting by Mac, feels so autumnal.

27 comments:

  1. Yes, definitely a big thank you to everyone at the Marriott Renaissance Concourse Hotel for being so understanding and helpful.

    Your new header is colourful, I love Autumn.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much on TV or movies, but Doc Martin is one that Jim and I have both enjoyed. One wants to give 'Doc' a good shaking up for his obtuse way of relating to people. the humor, as such, is rather subtle I think--more of a tongue in cheek portrayal of certain personalities we've all met in real life than out and out chuckles. When I had BBC-America I watched Hamish McBeth--I'll watch almost anything English--and read a few of the books that spawned the tv adaptations. My favorites --back in the day--were Jonathan Creek, Inspector Morse, Poirot, etc. I fear I'm out of the current loop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wondering what did we watch before Netflix and Amazon Prime? There is so little on the normal channels we don't even check out what's showing there any more. Will be checking out the shows you recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that, after the issue yesterday, it was nice to talk to someone who offered good customer service!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new header, you have one talented husband. How wonderful to get a refund, must give you a feel good factor after yesterdays saga.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A couple of years ago we were in Port Isaac in Cornwall when they were filming Doc Martin.I had my photo taken with the policeman.They were all really friendly but it took soooo long to just film a short bit.I think Rob Brydon is really funny and of course he is Welsh!Love the new header.What a talented man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's really a good customer service..

    ReplyDelete
  8. After the crash in the bus last spring, my daughter called Monticello, Mt. Vernon and Montpelier and all our tickets, etc. were refunded. People are nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your page opened and surprised me with its brightness!

    So happy they were understanding about the reservation.

    I have Doc Martin - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do like your new header! Very fall indeed! Great customer service for the hotel refunding you your money! Definitely I'm sure they won a customer for life!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so good when you receive good customer service, it's nearly non existent in so many companies these days. I've never watched any of the TV programmes you mention.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done that hotel. It's not often I hear good news like that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good to know the hurricane brought out compassion in the hotel people. "We" watched The Trip and I fell asleep. Just didn't get the humor. We are watching Genius (Einsten) and Ken Burns' Vietnam right now and we need some lighthearted humor diversions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mac was drafted for the Vietnam war way back when so we seldomly watch anything about it.

      Delete
  14. So glad the hotel refunded the money, good for their own future business. I'll have to have a look for your suggestions after I finish "The Blacklist" series, which I'm quite enjoying.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know if it's on your version of netflix, but if you can find a BBC series called 'the Detectorists', do watch it - it is genius (and far better than Doc Martin, in my opinion).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We loved this series, wish they'd made more than 2 series.

      Delete
    2. I just looked up The Detectorists to see if I could find it available to watch somewhere, and came across an article that said they filmed 6 more episodes this summer that will air at the end of the year. So they should eventually be available to watch here.

      Delete
  16. So glad that the hotel was understanding and refunded the money. I'm expecting a credit from my broadband service provider because of my internet connection issues which lasted for nearly a week. It'll be a small amount, but better than nothing. Mr P and I like the Doc Martin series and we're looking forward to a new series starting tonight. It's something new to watch instead of repeat programmes. Lovely new header.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad that the hotel refunded your money, and it's nice too that you were able to give them some good publicity. I was very grateful to the opera house in Berlin when they gave us alternative tickets after we had to cancel a trip due to illness.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh well done Marriott, it's good to see a bit of common decency. I love Doc Martin - although I don't think the sun does actually shine in Cornwall all the time! - and a new series began here last night. Do try and stick with it. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad you got a refund from the hotel. Gardening in the heat doesn't sound like fun. Glad you are finding so funny and interesting TV dramas to atch, we used to love Pie in the Sky a lot of these old dramas are being shown on aspecial channel over here. Comedies were are enjoying at the moment are Detectorists and Upstart Crow. We have also been watching a DVD of Early Doors:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Isn't it nice when a big business actually cares about their customers!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well you got some customer service, good for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just love the painting, the colours are so vibrant and rich. So glad you were able to get a refund, that is reassuring service indeed. Sounds like gradually things are returning to normal (is there such a thing?)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'll have to look for that movie. I'm a big fan of quirky British comedy.

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...