Saturday, September 2, 2017

It's That Time of Year

And I don't mean back to school time.  It's Love-Bug time.  They come twice a year and for the last few years they haven't been much of a problem.  This time it's awful, they're everywhere.  I cleaned hundreds out of the pool yesterday and the pool skimmer  had them in the thousands.  Mac was painting the screen door and painted them too.  He killed dozens, swept the porch and immediately it was covered again.  They don't bite, but they're body chemistry is acidic (hardly anything will eat them) and if they lay on something painted long enough (think your car) the paint can become pitted.  They tickle if they land on you and it's not a good tickle.  They're a pain in the ptooy.

The lovebug (Plecia nearctica) is a species of march fly found in parts of Central America and the southeastern United States, especially along the Gulf Coast. It is also known as the honeymoon fly or double-headed bug. During and after mating, adult pairs remain coupled, even in flight, for up to several days.  (Wikipedia)

The first picture is from the net and the second from our deck, enlarge to see the dozens.






20 comments:

  1. EW! I don't like bugs, especially if they walk on me! I don't believe I've seen any here. Too far from the coast, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I hate any kind of bug infestation, however harmless. It has a nice name though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have had rain this year and I have seen so many many bugs and been bitten by everyone. I look like I have the chickenpox it is awful.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I don't think I'd like those flitting and flying around. Must have been a huge job getting them out of your pool:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yuck!Obnoxious, like Asian ladybugs, but bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bugs are a nuisance, flies are worse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not good. I'm thinking of you, hopefully they will be gone very soon. B x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh...grew up with them on the Texas gulf coast. Obnoxious little buggers. Such a nuisance! They give love a bad name. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. They would drive me made too - hopefully they will finish what they are upto soon and be on their way and leave you two in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are probably a week away from getting them. Seems like it is more mid September here. They are a pain, especially on your car paint job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great name, sadly not a great bug. I have experienced them whilst in Florida, irritating.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They have made an early arrival here and the front of my car can attest to that. They are soooo aggravating! Have a great long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ew!! it is not good!! I understand you had a rough time with those bugs.. :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do they stay around long? Honestly, they would drive me crazy.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  15. Probably due to the change of climate, but I have noticed more insects invading my space. Certainly more than the last few years. My swatting implement is coming in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yuck, that's not pleasant. I hope the infestation won't last for long. I remember a caterpillar infestation once when I visited Tasmania. There were caterpillars everywhere. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just am not a bug person, nor a snake or lizard person. We haven't see them yet, but dreading it if I do see them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh good grief! I've never seen one. Sure hope they are not planning to migrate north. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ha - quite familiar with the love bugs, we get them around here.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm not too keen on bugs of any sort!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...