Sunday, September 24, 2017

Reading Round-Up

As usual I've been reading away and felt it was time for some quick reviews.  It took me a while to get through Skippy Dies   by Paul Murray, but I'm glad I stuck with it, what a weirdly, wonderful book.  It takes place in an Irish boy's school and opens with the death of Skippy, one of those boys.  It then tells the what happened before and after the death.  It's full of science, horny boys, diet obsessed girls, teachers of all kinds and several mysteries.  Loved it.  I'm sure it will end up on my Top Ten Reads of 2017.





I also read Children of God by Mary Doria Russell, the sequel to The Sparrow.  The Sparrow told the story of a Jesuit mission to a far galaxy and what happened there, I gave it 5 stars, a very rare score for me.  The follow-up is about the return to the planet and what was going on since Father Emilio Sanchez left.  Not quite as good as the first book, but full of surprises, it almost made me cry in parts.  I gave it 4 stars.





Finished Brideshead Revisted by Evelyn Waugh and liked it very much.  The arrogance of youth and the tight hold of the Catholic Church.  Poor Sebastian, and such a messed up family. A 4 star read.






Another sequel I read was Me After You by Jo Jo Moyes.  It was the sequel to Me Before You which I loved.  Well I hated the sequel.  Hated everyone in it and didn't care what happened to them.  Had to force myself to finish it.










Worked my way through two more Bill Slider mysteries by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles.  Just love her writing.  These two were Shallow Grave and Blood Sinister.  The mysteries are just ok, I usually figure out who the murderer is long before the end, but the dialogue is so good I could just keep reading forever.










Now I'm reading A Christmas Party by Georgette Heyer and as always with her books I'm enjoying it.  Not great literature, just a good read.  Remind never to go to stay with people who don't like each other, it might be dangerous to my health.








Also Under the Harrow by Flynn Barry, I'm not far enough along in it to know if I'm going to really like it.  A woman is on her way to her sister's house for the weekend and finds both her sister and her dog dead.  She then begins to find things out about her sister that she never knew.









And my last book is The Stone Sky by N.K. Jemisin.  It is the third book in the Broken Earth trilogy.  The first two in the series ( The Fifth Season and The Obelisk Gate) each won a Hugo as the best science fiction book of the year.  This is a post apocalyptic world that sounds like our planet, but it's inhabited by some very strange people.  My daughter, who is friends with the author, predicts that this one will win a Hugo too.  A triple win is almost unheard of.  I'm certainly enjoying it.

So that's what I've been reading lately.







18 comments:

  1. A varied selection of books there. I waited ages before reading After You, I just didn't think that Me Before You needed a sequel, and though I did enjoy it, I'd have preferred it if the story had been left as it was. Jojo Moyes is now writing another follow up due to be released next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that looks a rather interesting selection of books you've read.
    I always like to read a Christmassy book at Christmas so perhaps I may try to get the Georgette Heyer book in readiness.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hated After You too. I'd devoured Me Before You in about three days, really couldn't put it down, but I abandoned After You about halfway through. What a disappointment after the great first book. You've read a lot of interesting books, I'm going to look for some of them at the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a 3rd one coming out, but I definitely won't read it.

      Delete
  4. Wow, you certainly are an avid reader you put me to shame. I must try to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Georgette Heyer. Such cheerful escapist fiction (at least the romantic comedies are), but always well-written. Is that one of her mysteries?

    You are so diligent to finish a book you're not enjoying! I've finally given myself permission to stop reading a book if I don't like it. (Took me most of my life to reach that point though. It always felt vaguely disrespectful to the author to start a book and not finish it.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't always finish books that I don't like, but I like Me Before You so much I kept hoping Me After You would get better.
      Love Georgette Heyer, think I've read all of her books at least once.

      Delete
  6. I think A Christmas Party is also published with the title Envious Casca.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, and I read it way back when, but it's been long enough ago that I can't remember the details.

      Delete
  7. I love Georgette Heyer. I have the Christmas one on my order list. Right now I have 5 books I am trying to finish. But between my eyes and brain, I can only read I short time. I find her an easier read, fun and interesting.
    After reading about your TV watching, Midsomer Mysteries, have your tried, Lochness, Vera, Agatha Raisin, Striking Out, Father Ted, 800 Words and The Syndicate. Just a few I watch over and over.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love Agatha Raisin, we've been rewatching it. Wish there had been more than one series. Haven't seen the other.

      Delete
  8. You have read a great assortment of interesting books! I sort of got sucked in with Netflix with a free 30 day subscription. That has run out, decided to pay for it for a few more months, and am now binge watching shows where I used to read. Its a bit of an escapism for stuff going on; hopefully it will pass and I can get back to reading more :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  9. I quite fancy the Skippy book. Off to check on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like an interesting collection of books to read, I must look for the Georgette Heyer one to read nearer the festive season:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is quite a selection of books you've read. I couldn't wait until i retired so that i would have more time for reading. So what happened? I seem to have no time for snuggling down with a good book. Must put that right and make a note of some of your books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would be hard pressed to read a book anymore. I used to read at least one a day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've certainly read some interesting books lately. I was also disappointed with the sequel to Me Before You. I enjoy reading, but frequently have to give my eyes a rest - the same as with looking at a computer screen - so I'm a slow reader.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to read a lot of Georgette Heyer books when I was a teenager. Of course, back then I read her books in German.

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...