Monday, November 6, 2017

Just Another Monday in the Swamp

Though it hasn't rained in so long that parts of the swamp are drying up.  But a lovely cool down and rain storms are in the forecast for later in the week.
Little bit more energy so that's a good thing.  The people came and picked the couch up yesterday (YEAH!), though I worried that they'd get it home, give it a good look and bring it back.  Mac locked the garage, so if they change their mind they can't---LOL
Cleaned up my desk today, discovered I was down to one postage stamp and had to order some.  I pay most of my bills online, but I do send cards and other stuff through the mail.  Went ahead and ordered some Christmas ones too.
Made a couple of donations, I have a couple of charities that I support---Wounded Warrior Project, The Salvation Army and local Food Banks.
I finished a wonderful book this weekend, an oldie, but a goodie, A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute. Written in 1950 it tells the story of Jean Paget who along with a group of women in Malay are captured by the Japanese during WWII and are marched around the country till nearly half of them die.  The first part of the book was about that and the second part was about her life in Australia where she goes to look for an Australian soldier who had helped her in Malay.  This book was partly based on a group of Dutch women and children who were captured by the Japanese in Sumatra.  I loved this book, such a smart, gutsy heroine, her story will stay with me for a long time.
Playing on the Mp3 as I exercised this morning:
Crazy by Gnarls Barkley
Mambo #5 by Lou Bega
Enter Sandman by Metallica
You're One of My Kind by INXS
Just Another Maniac Monday by The Bangles

Fried chicken for lunch today, what can I say, it's the South, having fried chicken on a regular basis is mandatory.

17 comments:

  1. It’s many years since I read A Town Like Alice. As you say it’s a wonderful book. May just have to reread it. Glad the sofa went and hope it doesn’t return. Enjoy your rain when it arrives. B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mambo#5 yesh !
    Love that you locked the garage ! you really hated that sofa.

    I suport the Wounded Warrior but I want to give to the one that gives them dogs. Do you know a good one. ?
    I give to four animal charities.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alice is one of my all-time-ever favorite books! I have the movie also and one of my summer rituals when I was teaching was to watch it again every summer.
    I think it was smart to lock the garage. You never know!
    My charities are Kiva, a couple local organizations, and beggars on the street which I can't resist. I know, I know, it probably goes to the nearest liquor store but what if their story is real? I can't resist real people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An old classic, must read it again. Thank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A free couch, sounds like a winner to me! Wishing you a wonderful new week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I finally got around to reading A Town Like Alice a couple of years ago. I had seen the movie ages ago and loved it, and had always meant to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like a wonderful book---one I have never read but need to look for when I have the chance.

    I hope you have a wonderful Fall week. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't read it.. I'll try to find out in library..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad the couch is gone! What a relief!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never read A Town Like Alice and didn't know what it was about but it sounds really interesting, one to put on the list I think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed that book. I'm wondering if I can still buy it. I have ordered my Christmas cards on line, first time ever. I don't get out much now so shopping has had to have a rethink. It's amazing how easy it is, and scary.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember seeing the film A town Like Alice years ago but I've never read the book. That film and the film 'The Inn of Sixth Happines' I remember well:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. There was an amazing series in England in the 1980's, it was "Tenko". It sounds very much like the same story as the book you mention. Anyway, it is something that I have never forgotten, it was so well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, my, A Town Like Alice. I remember seeing that book around the house when I was too young to know what it meant. The title mystified me. Actually it still mystifies me, I never did read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds as if you had a good day!
    I bought my charity Christmas cards recently, I'm slowly getting organised for Christmas...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...