Friday, January 13, 2012

Friday the 13th

Are you superstitious?  I don't think I am particularly.  I mean I don't worry about Friday the 13th, I don't worry about the number 13 at all, be it a date, a floor or a room.    I don't walk under ladders  because that's just common sense, I don't worry about black cats crossing my path, in fact we had a black cat for years.  I don't worry about breaking a mirror and having 7 years of bad luck unless I cut myself and haven't updated my tetanus shot lately. I don't open umbrellas in the house, not because it's unlucky, it's just that I worry it won't close and I won't be able to get it out the door.
On the other hand, if I spill salt I will always throw some over my shoulder, I believe that bad luck or things come in threes and if my left hand itches I'm hopeful that some money is going to come my way.

4 comments:

  1. No, I'm not superstitious. I do avoid walking under ladders but like you say, that's just common sense. I've opened umbrellas indoors lots of times - I do that to dry them! I never threw salt over my shoulder, and I never thought bad luck comes in threes, or paid any special attention to itches or whatever. The only habit of that kind I can think of is that I might still sometimes say and do is "touch wood" if I make a presumption that something important will go well. But not really out of superstition, it's more like a demonstration of awareness that whatever-it-may-be might not go according to plan. That saying/doing I inherited from my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn Treader, I forgot about touching wood, I do that too, it's so automatic I don't even think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm fairly superstitious I suppose, I'm not paranoid but I do avoid/do all the expected things. Never put shoes on a table or pick up your own glove etc etc. All these came from my mum of course:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a black cat too - the best cat ever. I cried for months after he died. I'm not superstitious (despite having recently written a poem by that name) but I do try to avoid posting any crochet patterns with 13 rounds in them - in case that puts anyone off.

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...