Thursday, March 30, 2017

Home Again, Home Again

We're back!  Had a wonderful 2 weeks in Japan with our daughter.   Our first two days were spent in her home city of Fukuoka getting acclimatized. She walked our feet off, but in the very best way.  One of her friends said that she was better than Google maps and indeed she is.  After adjusting to the time change she loaded us on the train, we had Japan Rail passes which were a very good bargain and we headed to Kyoto.  We spent 2 1/2 days in Kyoto and could easily have spent a week there.   We visited Buddhist temples,  Shinto shrines and best of all we met Tomoko who blogs as Green Tomato.  She took us to tea and we had a wonderful time talking with her.


There are so many shrines in Kyotos, the old capitol of Japan, but April picked out Fushimi-Inari- Taisha for us to visit and it was beyond spectacular.  Built originally in 711 it sits at the base of the mountain Inari and there are paths leading to the top.  Inari is the patron of business, merchants and manufacturers.  Each Torii, orange gateway, has been donated by a Japanese business.   Most of all Inari represents rice and throughout the shrine you'll see Kitsune, foxes, who had keys in their mouths, keys to the grainery.
We spent hours there and could have spent longer.  Let me leave you with a few photos.

A Map of the Shrine showing the Toriis leading to the top.









I don't know which sign of the zodiac this is supposed to represent, but it looked like Godzilla.

All shrines have plaques you can buy, make a wish on and hang at the shrine, we took ours home with us.

Toriis leading up and down.




One of the shrine foxes.



The fox at the entrance to the shrine, he has rice in his mouth.

One of the shrines had lanterns with the signs of the zodiac, this is mine and Mac's sign.

Temple dog



17 comments:

  1. What a fabulous trip you had! Awesome pictures took me right along, thank you! Glad you made it home in one piece. Ready to be blown away in these winds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just love all the maps ? They are just so much fun to look at but also really helpful.
    Can not wait to see more photos.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos! I've always wanted to visit Japan. I'm glad you had a nice trip. The rabbit painting in your header is beautiful, I assume it's one of your husband's paintings?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realise that you were away at the same time as me. Glad you had a wonderful time in Japan - not only filled the joys of seeing new things but also spending time with your daughter which must have made the trip extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back ...

    What a fabulous trip.
    What fabulous photo's.

    I love the new bunny header too!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to see your back and had a good time. Looking forward to more pictures and stories of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So you were in Japan! The pictures are great! Lots of orange color. Reminds me of a paint by number set I did as a teenager that turned out really good. My daughter still has it. Glad you had good trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful trip! I love you got to visit your daughter AND to meet up with a fellow blogger! Very happy that you had such a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought you were away somewhere fun when you didn't post in awhile. Looks like you had another fabulous trip. Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Japan looks like somewhere I'd enjoy visiting. Thanks for sharing your trip, I am glad you had a good time. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the photographs, they are the only way I get to see Japan now.
    I would love to visit but it's no longer possible. I can dream can't I? Glad you had such a wonderful time with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha ha, I can see Godzilla too. What a wonderful trip, not only do you get to visit your daughter and spend time with her but you're in such an interesting country with so much to see. It sounds as though you need to pack comfy shoes though as April certainly gives you an action packed non stop tour. Glad you had such a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, Janet
    It was so wonderful meeting you! I was glad that you are all are so friendly people.Today, I enjoyed Kyoto through your eyes. That sign is actually dragon. The Dragon is the fifth of the 12 Chinese zodiac animals.Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like an amazing trip Janet! How nice that you met up with a fellow blogger too. My husband and I are also Libra ... we're all so well-balanced ;)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome back, sounds like you had a good time:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks like you had a fantastic trip! I'm looking forward to catching up with all your blog posts about your trip.

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...