Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Cold Weather Food

Yesterday when our really, really young weather forecaster said we were going to have a Yucky day (don't you just love those technical meteorological terms?) I knew I had to fix something that would stick to your ribs.  So I thumbed through my Weight Watcher recipes and found individual chicken pot pies.  The only thing I added to the original recipe was potatoes, but I took out the celery, neither of us likes it, and though caloriewise the potatoes are more, a pot pie just needs potatoes.
It tasted even better than it looked.

For those who are looking for a lower calorie recipe for a pot pie:

2 Tbsp white self-rising flour      I used regular flour with baking powder added
1 Tbsp  butter
2/3 cup frozen green peas
1/2 cup white wine
1 cup chicken stock   I use fat-free low sodium
3/4 pound uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast(s) cubed
2 medium celery stalks chopped   I omitted this and used potatoes instead
2 carrots chopped
1 medium onion chopped
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp rosemary
can of uncooked, flaky biscuits

Preheat oven to 375 degrees  Coat 4 ten ounce ramekins or custard cups with cooking spray

In a saute pan melt butter over medium hear, add chicken, onion, celery and carrots.  Saute until chicken is no longer pink.  Add flour, stir so flour mixes with butter.

Add chicken stock and wine slowly, stirring constantly so no lumps form.  Add peas, rosemary, salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil.  Simmer until thick, about 15 minutes.

Remove chicken mixture from hear and divide evenly among ramekins.

Put a biscuit on top of each ramekin (I put one on the bottom too).  Place ramekins on a baking sheet and bake until biscuits are brown and mixture is bubbly, about 15-20 minutes.


Good food for a yucky day.

1 comment:

  1. That looks so good! I'm a great fan of home made soups and stews the minute the weather chills.

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...