Saturday, February 5, 2011

Plagarism

There I was playing a new classical piece of music ,  Muzio Cementi's Sonatina in G Major, Opus 5.  I was playing slowly because it was the first time I'd ever played it and I didn't want to butcher it too badly.  But all of a sudden I left the classical world of music and was playing a 60's pop song by Wayne Fontana and The Mindbenders, A Groovy Kind of Love.  Somebody in their group or entourage had a training in classical music and knew a good riff when they heard one.  All they did was take the original (the Rondo section of the opus) and slow it down and they had a hit song.
Mac was in the other room while I was playing and asked why I'd switched songs, and I told him I hadn't, it was the same piece, just that someone had borrowed it and we knew the modern version.
This happens a bit when playing classical music, I play something and say, I know that song and sure enough someone has adapted it into a pop song.
Do you think poor old Muzio can collect any royalties?

1 comment:

  1. I remember that song - it's interesting that it has a classical origin. I often hear parts of songs that sound vaguely familiar and this may be the reason why!

    ReplyDelete

Another Sign of Christmas

My Christmas cactus is blooming, well at least one of them is, I don't know what the others are doing, planning on being Easter cacti pe...