Tuesday, September 25, 2012

What is Elderly?

While on the phone with a store's Customer Service last week I heard that I was elderly and it kind of threw me for a loop.  I'd been trying to get something done about something that had been delivered and wasn't right.  They had delivered it via FedEx and their Customer Service suggested that I pack it back into its box and have FedEx pick it up at their expense.  I explained that it had come in a huge bag, not a box and that there was no way it would now fit back in the bag.  So they suggested that I take it, as is, to their nearest store.  I explained that we had small cars and that it wouldn't fit and that I was too old, I gave my age, to be manhandling it around.  At that point they were out of suggestions, I sighed and said I guessed we'd find a way to make it work.
Shortly thereafter I received another phone call from someone higher up in Customer Service who apologized, said they hadn't realized how elderly I was and that they'd have FedEx pick  it up and bring packing supplies to do it with.
After the call I sat there for a while and thought about what it means to be elderly, something I never think of myself as being.
What is elderly?  Since last week I've walked at least 2 miles a day, did a day of aerobics, renewed my driver's license, climbed a million stairs each day, helped move our old couch out of the family room, helped move our new mattress into the bedroom, hung out about 5 loads of wash on the line, cooked and cleaned every day, made candles, pillows, decorated the house for Autumn, read 3 books, and today I cleaned out the refrigerator, mowed the lawn which is almost an acre and pulled a ton of weeds.
Does a number make you elderly?  I think being elderly is a matter of health and a state of mind.
By the way, after their offer we decided to keep the thing and find a way to make it work, I didn't want any favors because I'm elderly.

2 comments:

  1. Good question! I suppose the only answer is "you're as old as you feel" - a terrible cliché, I know, but none the less true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brilliant post and so true - I have friends of the same age (50 ish) who 'can't do this at my age' while others are climbing mountains. Age is truly a state of mind.

    ReplyDelete

Saturday in the Swamp

Beautiful cold day here, down to 36º last night and only expected to reach 60º today, but the sky is blue and it looks wintery. Lots to get...