Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Trip That Almost Wasn't

For Mac's birthday I'd booked us a trip to Cumberland Island with a stay in St. Marys at the lovely Emma's B & B, but as the day of the  trip got closer the weather forecast for the day we were going got worse.  So I called the ferry people and asked if I could move our reservation to the day after our reservation.  They said no, you had to use the reservation on the day you'd selected, so I asked if I canceled would I get a refund and was again told no, no changes, no refunds, that was their policy, I  told them I didn't think much of their policy.  After talking it over with Mac we decided to cancel our room reservation and just "eat" the cost of the ferry, so I called Emmas and was told that I had to call 48 hours in advance to cancel if I wanted a refund, I'd thought it was 24 hours.  They would keep the whole cost of the room, though if we rebooked within 6 months the money would be applied to the new reservation.  We decided to brave the weather and go.  Our ferry reservation was for 9 am, but there was another ferry at 11:45 and we thought we'd take that one instead, hoping the weather would improve by then.  At the ferry ticket office I worried that they might not honor our reservation as it had been for the earlier ferry, but they said as long as it was for the same day that it was fine.
The boat ride was beautiful with partly cloudy skies and it looked like we'd be ok, and we were, it didn't rain, but boy was it windy!  Cumberland is the largest of Georgia's Barrier Islands, is mostly owned by the state and the number of visitors is strictly controlled.  I hope it never changes with its lush marshes, maritime forests, huge live oaks and wild horses and turkeys.
We only had the afternoon there, but Mac got to hunt for fossilized shark's teeth and I did an oil painting which I need to finish now, so it was a good day.
Dinner that night was at Captain Seagel's  located on the waterfront and the food was excellent, particularly Mac's, he had Flounder Florentine done with Feta cheese and spinach.  The restaurant is part of a hotel and has been run by the same family since the 1920's.  It was cozy and was a perfect spot to watch the sunset.
The next morning we wondered around St. Marys, one of my absolute favorite places.  St. Marys is the second oldest continually inhabited city in America being just slightly younger that St. Augustine in Florida.  We've visited numerous seaside communities, Tybee Island, St. Simons, Jekyll, Hilton Head etc, but St. Marys is different, there is something very special about it.    I enjoy the other places we visit, but each time we go to St. Marys I always turn to Mac and say, "I could live here." , and he agrees.  So I go home and search real estate listings.
That morning St. Marys was decorated, as they do every year at this time,  with its Scarecrows and looked very "harvesty".  I love the old southern style homes, and though I wouldn't want one as big,  they are gorgeous.  Many have been turned into B & Bs.


Fossil Hunting

Ruins of the Carnegie Mansion

Wild Turkeys









Emma's B&B

Garden at Emma's

Looking From Fishing Pier Back to City Park

After our walk around town we went down to the harbor and Mac fished, not getting so much as a nibble, and I read a book.  What a beautiful morning and a wonderful trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...