Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Tuesday in the Swamp

The house is once again filled with the smell of Gingerbread, I baked a load of little men, even wore my Gingerbread Apron, but I'm too lazy to take  pictures, so you'll just have to take my word for it.  I filled a sleigh with them and they're sitting on the table.  Mac and I shared one and he squirted whipped cream on it---well YUM---whipped cream and gingerbread, a match made in heaven.
No a lot done besides the baking, starting to get the house clean before our daughter gets here so I can spend time with her and not on housework.
Finally finished A Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan, a book I didn't think I was going to like much but ended up loving it.  Now it's stuck in my head and I keep thinking about it.  Not told in chronological order and even has a Power Point presentation in the middle.  Some critics call it a novel, others 13 interrelated stories.  Very different and very good, but also very strange.
Now I'm reading When You Disappeared by John Marrs about a man who leaves his family and then returns 25 years later, so far it's very good.
I'm also reading Rooster Bar by John Grisham and so far it's just ok.
Warm day today, nearly 70º, but due to drop to 32º.  That's kind of nice though, warm days and snuggle under the covers at night.

15 comments:

  1. Those gingerbread men sound delicious. You must be excited about your daughter coming home. Eleanor's home from uni now but I'm really excited about Daniel coming home next week, I won't have seen him for nearly ten months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's wonderful when you have distant loved ones coming home for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, I love the header...it especially beautiful. The shadows on the wall, the chair...just lovely!!

    I can smell the wonderful cookies coming from your kitchen, and you look cute in your apron.

    Is Rooster Bar a new book from JG. I have seen or read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love collections of interrelated stories. One I loved this year was Blackbird House by Alice Hoffman, and its stories were about the people who lived in a house through its two hundred year history.

    Our weather here in central Texas is much the same, and lovely. We had snow last week which was a very rare event.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to make my gingerbread Scotties again this year. But not now still trying to get my cards out and some gifts. then I destroyed my home with boxes, best friend dropped by and helped with decorations. Never get ill in November !
    Mac's painting is wonderful.

    cheers, parsnip and mandibles

    ReplyDelete
  6. You reminded me of a cartoon I saw this morning....(I'm easily amused. It's a blessing.) A gingerbread boy is sitting on a doctor's examination table. The doc says, "Bad knees, huh? Have you tried icing it?" I don't comment much, but I really like your blog. It's very good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have put me in the mood for baking having read this post. I can almost smell that gingerbread. Not long now till your daughter arrives :). B x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! Whipped cream on gingerbread sounds so good! That's quite a temperature swing. x K

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to read of somewhere a bit warmer when we are under a really cold spell of weather.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You do recommend some good books. When I leave your blog I pop into Amazon to see if those books are available. It's costing me a fortune, but worth it. I could just eat some gingerbread and whipped cream.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the smell of gingerbread, it's so festive too:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The last gingerbread men I attempted to make fell completely apart...I really should try again! When I was little my mom made gingerbread cake regularly and we always had whipped cream to eat with it....OR apple sauce...ever tried eating apple sauce on top? It's yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gingerbread and Christmas seem to go together well ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...