Monday, December 4, 2017

Back Home

We're home from NYC, worn to a frazzle with worn out feet.  Great trip, NYC looked like every Christmas movie you've ever seen, minus the snow.  The weather was delightful, well up in the 50's.  We walked everywhere, which explains why our feet are so sore.  We're use to walking, but concrete city sidewalks are so unforgiving.
Everywhere just looked like Christmas.  The store windows were wonderful, particularly Saks Fifth Avenue and Lord and Taylors.
These are from Saks where the theme was Snow White and the Seven Dwarves.







This is from Lord and Taylor, not sure what the theme was.


This is the tree and skating rink at Rockefeller Center, couldn't get near it the night it was first lit, police barricades everywhere and there must have been a 100,000 people out about near it.  Saw it the next night though.


The say the tree has 50,000 lights.

It was all just so beautiful.  And then we went to the best book store I've ever seen, The Strand.  It covers nearly a block with racks of used books outside for a dollar and 3 stories of every imaginable type of book.  I did some serious Christmas shopping there.



Tomorrow I'll tell you about the Christmas Markets and the kindness of strangers.



21 comments:

  1. Your photos are wonderful, what a magical time to visit New York. I think I'd be able to spend a whole day, if not more, in that book shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a fellow who worked at the Strand his entire career and retired recently. I did not realize it was so big. I've donated all the esoteric books he gifted me to our local library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all looks wonderful, glad you had such a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it looks like a great trip. I'm from a suburb of NYC and though I haven't been back in awhile, it's still one of my favorite places, especially at holiday time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had such a wonderful and successful trip to NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to advertising school right there, Janet! It is just magical at Christmas, isn't it? I wouldn't want to live there but it was sure fun for a while...and wonderful to re-visit. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy to read about your NYC adventures. Those pictures are amazing. Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how lovely. I have never been to New York in Winter and it sounds so wonderful.
    Thank you for the photos.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love NYC but have never been during the Cmas season. Guess I need to do something about that. Happy week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looked like such a lovely trip! Glad the weather was pleasant for it too!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful! It sounds like you were blessed with the good weather and a fabulous bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous photos, it all looks wonderfully festive:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those Christmas lights and displays are incredible. There is no place like New York City for the holidays. We were there a few years ago, and I remember the crowds around the tree. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you are both feeling rested today now you're back home. The Christmas lights look wonderful, the shops enticing, especially the book store. Glad you had a good trip.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What fun to see the Christmas lights in NYC! The windows are just magical. I can't even imagine a bookstore that big, but I know I would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing New York City with us I have never been! I'm not big on crowds anymore so I don't think I would have enjoyed the hundred thousand people! Lol!!! Good job waiting until the next day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So lovely to see all of your photos.
    Christmas is such a magical time to visit New York.
    I'm envious of that book shop - I'd love to visit and browse ... and buy!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your trip sounds wonderful. I know I would love that book store.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think I could spend a lot of time in that bookstore!

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...