Monday, November 19, 2018

Time for a New Post

Haven't posted in a week so it's time.  Last week was a quiet week except for going out for breakfast on Monday.  Had quite a bit of energy so I did some cleaning that hadn't been done in a while and I worked in the garden.  It's going to take forever to whip it back into shape.  Mac has been cleaning up the daffodil bed so he can put more bulbs in there.
Went to the store yesterday to get stuff for Thanksgiving.  I already have the Cornish Game Hens, but I needed rolls and a pumpkin pie.  The store was packed and there were not many pies available.  I don't feel like making my own this year.  I need to get the Hens out of the freezer, it will take a couple of days to thaw them out.
I read blogs every day, but I don't comment much, I've been very lazy.
Read a really stupid book, can't believe I finished it.  I was looking for a light, easy read with some humor.  What I got was a whiny main character I wanted to smack on a regular basis.  Don't know why I finished it, kept hoping she'd get her comeuppance, but she didn't.
Started Barbara Kingsolver's new book Unsheltered and I'm not liking it at all, usually I love her books, but not this one.  Part of the trouble is it's told in 2 time periods and I'm getting tired of that.  The present day story is interesting, but the other is boring.  Don't know if I'll finished it or not.
In between I'm rereading Georgette Heyer books and enjoying them thoroughly.

18 comments:

  1. Hi Janet,

    Wishing you a happy thanksgiving. Sorry your book is stupid! I live Cornish hens -- a great idea for TG.

    You've commented on my blog recently and I so appreciate your visit even though Blogger isn't sending me comments anymore and it's hard to reply directly. But glad when you leave a message!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like you honest review. I was reading the review in amazon, but I'll take yours. :)

    Hope you are feeling good. Have a happy week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Georgette Heyer. I'll dig her out at Christmas and indulge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I,also,do not like the style of writing novels with two stories.Why???Why can they not tell a story from start to end.I am a Barbara Kingsolver fan but may give this one a miss.I will until you get to the end and follow your recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for a realistic review of Kingsolver's new book. I loved the Poisonwood Bible and her other writings, too. Will steer clear of this one.

    I hope you have a wonderful, blessed Thanksgiving. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too have done a great deal of cleaning these past few days. I don't persevere with books that I am not enjoying anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the book reviews - it saves a lot of time and money! I have a stack of books I couldn't finish.....Some are quite near the end, but couldn't take another page! It's good to get out in the fresh air in the garden. It's getting colder here and soon won't be doing any of that for a while. Your Thanksgiving meal sounds nice - hope you have a lovely, peaceful day. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you read Sue Monk Kidd, I bought The Invention of Wings on recommendation and was impressed by her style. I'm on the second book now... The Secret Life of Bees.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing you a blessed Thanksgiving dear Janet. Pat 🍁🦃🍂

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a good thanksgiving. I can't believe it is that time of year again - it is completely invisible to us on this side of the Atlantic of course, you never see a mention of it! Wonder why (haha) :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Thanksgiving! I hate it when a book turns out to be a dud. I never know whether to keep going in the hopes it will surprise me, or give up. Hope the next one is better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Thanksgiving Janet, so thankful you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. blog wandering can be fun,but you don't always need to comment...I like Zhoen from"One Word" blog's idea...just leave a stone to say you've been..(O)...its nice knowing someone has been by!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some books are just not meant to be read :-) I hope you found a pumpkin pie that is just right for you. Happy Thanksgiving. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. You made me laugh. I do the same thing. Read them in hopes that they will get better. I have also stopped reading them right in the middle, deciding that I really don't care who did it, or if they get together! I love Dorothea Benton Frank stories. You might like "The Land of Mango Sunsets." Also, Mary Kay Andrews has a couple I like. Summer Breeze, Summer Blues and Christmas Blues. I was irritated because I left comments on blogs only they never went through! Something with my phone.....augh. Happy Thanksgiving! (people don't appreciate home made pies anyway!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey the name of those books are Savannah Breeze and Savannah Blues, not Summer!

      Delete
  16. Thank you for sharing such a heart warming post. I like to read your honest review of books. I always can not be patient to finish boring books for me.

    I appreciate your visit on my blog. I hope your daughter is doing well,enjoy her life in Fukuoka.
    Have a good new week!

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...