Friday, May 21, 2010

Faeries


I've always had a fascination with faeries, loved reading stories about them, loved drawings and paintings of them, and absolutely loved the movie Fairy Tale about the Cottingley Fairies-----saw one of the girl's daughter and grandaughter on the Antique Road Show with the fairy pictures and the camera they took them with. 
Most of my life I have never done anything in the way of drawing or painting.
 But a few years ago, inspired by Cicely Mary Barker's beautiful faery pictures I decided to see if I could draw them too.
I used colored pencil and made many copies.  I was thrilled, I could draw.
Following 
up on my interest in faeries a couple of years ago my daughter April gave me a faery house which I put in the garden.  This year I've planted Impatiens in front of it and
 Mac and Miss Kitty gave me a little bear on a swing for Mother's Day and we hung it in the tree behind the house.
Hope someone nice moves in....no alligators need apply.

3 comments:

  1. Are these your drawings? They are brilliant! I can't believe you could go through most of your life not knowing you could draw. I love fairies too and have several of Cicely Mary Barker's books. I know the book about the Cottingley Fairies but I haven't seen the film so must try and find it on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rowan, yes they're my drawings, i was amazed they turned out for I truly had never drawn anything before. They're getting a bit faded and my husband says I need to do them in oils or watercolors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As usual, your talents amaze me!!

    ReplyDelete

Saturday in the Swamp

Beautiful cold day here, down to 36º last night and only expected to reach 60º today, but the sky is blue and it looks wintery. Lots to get...