That's how long we've been living in our house here in Georgia. In fact that's the longest we've ever lived in any house. Twenty years ago if you asked me where we would retire to Georgia would not have been on my top 100 list. We'd lived here in the 1980's and liked it, but couldn't wait to return to California after Mac retired from the Army.
We spent 13 years in California and we knew that though it was home, where we were both from, we didn't want to retire there. So we started seriously thinking about where we'd go.
When we lived in Georgia before it was in a town near Augusta, inland. We didn't think that was what we wanted, so we thought about what we did when we lived there and we realized that going to Savannah was one of our favorite things to do, so we decided to explore the area around Savannah, neither of us wanted to be in town, just near enough for shopping and stuff.
We did a lot of internet searching and made a couple of flights down here to explore. That's how we found our house.
After 11 years what do we still like about living here:
• love the house
• love where it sits, out in the county, on a lagoon full of fish, turtles and the odd alligator
• the people, everyone is so friendly and helpful, we've made good friends
• when someone has an appointment to be at your house they'll be there, no one is ever late
• we never have long to wait at the doctor's office, the bank, the post office, in fact anywhere
• the changing seasons especially spring and fall
What I don't like after 11 years:
• the humidity, I can deal with the heat, kind of, but the humidity is horrible
• the deer flies, you can discourage other bugs, but nothing slows the deer fly down
• all the stairs in our house, 11 at the front or up from the garage and 14 to go upstairs
Every time we talk about downsizing we realize that we really don't want to move, we just want our house to be smaller, with fewer stairs, but I don't see us going anywhere any time soon.