Saturday, June 13, 2009

Low Country Boil


Well tomorrow is the big day, our Low Country Boil, known in some parts as a Frogmore Stew. Mac and I had never eaten one before moving to the Savannah area (though Carolina swears it's their recipe). Basically it's fresh corn on the cob, sausage, Vidalia onions, red potatoes and shrimp boiled together with about a ton of Old Bay Spice.
Now those are the main ingredients, but every cook puts a slightly different spin on it. This is our Third Annual Low Country Boil and you'd think I'd know more about how to make it, like what order to cook the ingredients in, how long to cook it, and how much spice to put in. But the truth is, that though I've looked at a million recipes for the Boil, including Paula Deans, I've never cooked one. Our friends who come every year have told me that only men know how to cook the stew. Usually JR (Jimmy Rogers, legendary bass player) does the honors, but he has other obligations, so this year Mike (legendary bass player, keyboardist and banjo picker) will do the cooking. Each year I try to watch as they fill the huge cooking pot on the backdeck, keep track of what goes in next and for how long, but generally I end up too hot to care and just jump in the pool with the rest of the women and let the men do the cooking. It's not a bad way to go, even if I never learn the true recipe I still get to eat a great meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...