Saturday, April 30, 2016

Saturday Things

I started to blog about the heat, it was 93º here yesterday, but I decided it was much too early in the year to start complaining.  So I'll talk about a few other things.

Reading:  I finished the novel, notice I didn't say book, it's so much more than that, North and  South and I have to say it is one of the best books I've read in awhile.  I'm glad I stuck with it inspite of the use of dialect that was slowing me down.
Though it dealt with many social issues (the growth of industry, unions, child labor, strikes) it was at its heart a love story.
And its love story reminded me, in a strange way of Pride and Prejudice  , my favorite book.  When Mr. Thompson tells Margaret of his love she is as angry as Elizabeth was when Darcy first declared his.  But she was both full of pride, after all she was a lady, and prejudice, he dealt in business.  He expected her repudiation, but like Darcy he was wounded.
At the end when he again asked for her love it reminded me of Darcy asking Elizabeth is she'd changed her mind.  And like Elizabeth, Margaret was ashamed of her former refusal.
This one will stick with me for a while.

Listening:  On my MP3 player today while I was exercising were:

Roxanne by the Police
Surrender by Cheap Trick
Take Me Home Tonight  by Eddie Money
Red, Red Wine  by UB40
Talk Tonight by Oasis

Worked on my puzzle, it's a doozy, beginning to wonder if I'll ever get it done

For lunch today, if I get up and get going, will be pizza and a salad.  Not too heavy for a hot day.

Tonight it will be silly British TV:

Was It Something I Said
Room 101

And not so silly, but oh so good, a Miss Marple.

Hope you're having a good weekend too.

15 comments:

  1. Most evenings around here involve either British television (via TunnelBear) or British DVDs/Blu-rays of British tv or movies. Born in the wrong country. ;<))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red, Red Wine by UB40 ... haven't listened to that for a while!
    Thanks for reminding me.

    Hope you may get cooler weather soon

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great Saturday to me. Lots of activity. Have a good weekend as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had a pretty good week.
    Some books require stickability don't they?
    Usually, as you found it's worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Red Red Wine by UB40 always reminds me of my fifteenth birthday, it was number 1 in the charts and one of my friends bought me the single for my birthday, I haven't heard it for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to a UB40 tribute band evening last year, it was a really good evening, so the Red Red Wine song brought back lots of lovely memories. Enjoy your evening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We enjoy a good Miss Marple.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love North and South and the love story between John Thornton and Margaret Hale. The BBC did a wonderful adaptation of it a few years ago with Richard Armitage as Thornton. I can watch and re-watch the Marple TV series:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG UB40 I remember seeing them live in the 80's at our local theatre not thought about them for years. I wish it was hot here can't wait for some sum and heat

    ReplyDelete
  10. A good Miss Marple is always a good way to end the day isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oo, read North and South many years ago, thank you for the reminder, must read that one again. I can't imagine that heat, it just drains doesn't it?
    Have a good week!
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have a very British spring which you might enjoy - windy and cool, with just the odd bit of tantalisingly warm spells.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We're working our way through all the Marples and comparing notes. We have Joan Hickson, Geraldine McEwan and Julia McKenzie versions. All completely different. And then there are the books. Really it's a winter occupation and now the spring is pulling me outside. But the heat must be driving you back inside. I hope your daughter is happy in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll be heading to Japan this year to see our daughter who is doing very well and still loves Japan.

      Delete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...