Thursday, August 18, 2011

Book Journal

Because I'm so incredibly forgetful I decided that keeping a book journal would help me remember the books I've read and only reread them because I want to, not because I can't remember if I had read them in the first place.
 So I ordered the Reading Woman's Book Journal and I'm getting ready to start filling in the pages.  I ordered this journal out of the many that are out there because it's full of illustrations of women reading and is beautiful to look at.  The illustrations would be worth the price of the book alone.
I'm currently reading 4 books and that's a lot even for me as I generally only have 2 books going at a time.  I'm reading the Complete Works of Agatha Christie Volume One The Early Years with an emphasis on the Poirot stories, that's on my gtablet.  I decided to read these stories because we've been watching the PBS Poirot series from Netflix, it's the one with David Suchet as Poirot and it's so good.
 Also being read on my gtablet is  Pride and Prejudice.  I've read Pride and Prejudice more times than I can remember and always return to it when I want a story full of civility, civility even when the people aren't being kind.  I get awfully tired of "in you face" books and people.
 I'm alternating between the 2 and enjoying the  contrast.
I'm also reading The Grand Tour  by Patricia C. Wrede and Caroline Stevermer, a Regency story with magic.  It's part of a trilogy that began with Sorcery and Cecilia or the Enchanted Chocolate Pot.  Light, light reading and a lot of fun.
The last book is slow going, it's The Gardens of the Moon (Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson.   This is the second time I've started reading it and I hate to give up on it because it came so highly recommended, but so far it's a hard read.  I find the character names confusing, I keep having to look at the list of characters listed in the front of the book to keep people straight, and though there's only one story line there are dozens of threads.  I usually like fantasy but I may have to make myself finish this one.

I began this year by rereading books that I already owned and did that for more than 2 months, but as time went on I wanted some books I hadn't read.  I have a wish list a mile long at Amazon but try not to buy too many.  I return to my own books ever so often and plan on rereading a bunch of my Charles deLint books this fall which should save me some money.


One of the illustrations, sorry about the flash.












3 comments:

  1. I don't know how you can read more than one book at a time, I would get all muddled up!
    I don't often re-read books either and buy far too many! The journal is a good idea and looks good too.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This journal looks interestng. I keep a note of the books I read in my daytimes. My daytimes I keep.
    I can have two books going simultaneusly but like Lyn said any more and I would get confused.
    Great post
    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as the books aren't similar I can read any number of books at a time.

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...