Sunday, February 12, 2012

Pre-Raphaelite Paintings

Lady of Leisure
I love Pre-Raphaelite paintings!  In the days when Mac would paint me copies of other artists' works I had him paint my new header.  It is Dolce Far Niente by John William Godward and was originally painted in 1904.  Mac painted my copy in about 2004.  It hangs on the wall as you go up the stairs in our house.  It has a companion piece, Lady of Leisure that was originally painted by Fredric Soulacroix.
Mac prefers to paint his own paintings and not copy other artists' works,  but once in a while, when I ask nicely he'll make a copy for me.  What started all this today is that I visited Cait O'Connors Blog and she had the most beautiful painting there, Sunday by American artist Johanna Harmon, and I want, want, want a copy of it, so now I need to convince Mac.  It's not a Pre-Raphaelite, but it reminds me of their work.  I think it's the red hair.
Sunday
















3 comments:

  1. I'm sure that Mac will do you a copy of 'Sunday' if you ask nicely:) I love the Pre-Raphaelites too but haven't come across John William Godward before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely painting...it's the colour combination of the hair and the skirt, and the lighting that does it for me.

    SP

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Lady of Leisure reminds me slightly of Alma Tadema's classical paintings. I really like the light in the Sunday painting it is lovely:)

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...