Friday, August 19, 2016

Bits and Bobs on Friday

The silver threads among the gold have once more been beaten back.  It's a personal decision for each one of us, but I choose not to go grey or white.  I will keep my ash blonde till the bitter end and then ask that someone pack a Miss Clairol in my casket.
Finished reading The Kite Runner and was utterly overwhelmed by it.  I cried.  I don't give 5 stars on Goodreads to many books, but I gave it to this book.  Such a sad story, written well.  I will go looking for more of his books.
One more book to read before The Blind Assassin, and it's Leaving Time by Jodie Picoult.  I usually avoid her books, but this one is about a medium who helps a girl search for her missing mother and it's stuffed full of information and jokes about elephants.  I'm a sucker for books about mediums and I love elephants.  So far I'm enjoying it.
Songs playing on my MP3 today while I exercised:
Sister Golden Hair by America
Heart of Glass by Blondie
Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Here Comes My 19th Nervous Breakdown by the Rolling Stones
Walk Like An Egyptian  by the Bangles
Had to run, well not literally we're 5 miles from one, to the store to pick up some bacon and linguica.  We're having bacon/linguica and eggs for lunch today.  If you don't know linguica it's a wonderful Portuguese sausage.  We like chorizo which is a good Spanish sausage, but linguica is even better.  And what's better than breakfast for lunch!
Still hot here, setting new records each day and still no rain.  The only place that weeds are even growing is in the garden because Mac waters it each day.
Have a great weekend.

19 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've had a wonderful day! Pat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've had a wonderful day! Pat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of linguica before, I must look out for that. However I am a fan of breakfast for lunch, we call that brunch here. Generally we have Brunch on a Saturday when we come back from the car boot sale hungry. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't mind have all grey hair. I am pure white in the front and sides but a dull steel grey in the back. It is from all the bad drugs I take. I wish it would just pick one color. At the rate my hair is falling out I think it will be a wig for me soon.

    cheers, parsnip and thehamish

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm smiling re your amusing comment about your hair. Although my hair is still dark brown there are strands of grey beginning to appear that could do with sorting out when I'm more mobile. Hope you both stay cool and enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got a few grey strands in my hair now but I've never dyed it, yet! Watch this space!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Portuguese sausage sounds delicious. I've never heard of it before, but will keep my eyes out for it now. I laughed at your Miss Clairol in your casket comment. As for me, I'm far too lazy to try and keep up with covering the grey in my hair. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hair color gets expensive to keep up with. I thought I would quit when I retired but that didn't happen. Maybe soon!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I looked up linguica and there are some very nice recipes for this type of sausage. I'm not too sure if it's readily available in the UK ... I'll have to check it out because it does sound delicious.

    Relax and enjoy the weekend

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm thinking of "reverse frosting" my hair. I spent years streaking it blonde, now I think I'll streak it brown. I hope you'll give us a glimpse of your new color.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have had a bit too much rain this summer but sometimes rain is good. I have never heard of that sausage even in Portugal. I was thinking about hair colour the other day and wondering whatever became of blue rinses. I haven't seen one of those for years.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have had The Kite Runner on my list for a couple of years. I have the book just sitting in a cabinet waiting to be read.
    I gave up with frosting my hair and just embraced the grey...it is a process :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. We're having rain today, but it was a very hot and dry August till last week! My neighbour recently said to me "I like how you're embracing the grey hair". I told her I felt I was just giving up, not "embracing". I got tired of colouring it every 2-3 weeks.
    I enjoyed The Kite Runner too, although it's been a while since I read it. I'm working my way through The Outlander series this summer.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmm, the sausage sounds delicious! And now I've got "Heart of Glass" playing in my head.... :)

    I tried colouring my hair once (decades ago) and it was such a spectacular failure I vowed never to try again. So you can have my share of Miss Clairol. :) I tell myself the streaks of grey are distinguished-looking. (Secretly I hope that once my hair goes all grey, it might turn wavy....)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved 'The Kite Runner' too. Also addicted to hair colouring and have found this stuff you put on roots with a makeup brush in between colours to hide the grey. Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You made me laugh with the clairol in your casket! You have me intrigued with the kite runner. Will have to find that one. Hope you have cooler weather soon, it must be so draining. Have a good week. B X

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm lucky that I'm still not grey even though 70 is appearing on the horizon - 2 weeks to go:) I have a semi-permanent rinse on it every so often but even without it I still look dark haired. Thanks Mum - it's her good genes, she wasn't grey even in her 80s and never coloured her hair in her life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you. I've been coloring my hair since I was a teenager. My Dad once asked, "What color is your hair?"

      Delete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...