Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Tied a Record

Well we did it, tied the record for the number of days at 90º or more in a row, that being 56 days and there's no end in sight.  I don't know for sure, but I'm betting that most of those were 95º or better.  It was 95º yesterday, 96º on Sunday and who knows what it will be today. We've only had one measurable rainfall in the last month, believe it or not, even the weeds are dying.  And my Mimosa tree is looking very sad.  Mac waters each day, but even still, things are dry. Right now at 1pm it's already above 90º with 88% humidity.  Won't grumble too much, just run the air conditioner and watch the dollars fly out the window.
Sent Mac out to take butterfly photos, he says he has to do it in the morning, later in the day they all disappear.  Not too many flowers now, Rose of Sharon, Lantana and Zinnias.  They really like the Lantanas.

Gulf Fritillary


Swallowtail















Checkerspot






Tropical, use to be rare here, but each year we get more and more

Dragonfly




14 comments:

  1. Our weather sounds identical to yours! It is unbearable outside! Hot and dry as a bone! The leaves on the trees look wilted. It's a job keeping things watered just enough to keep them alive, and to think of all the rain we got a few months ago...every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. July was the hottest July on record. You do have some butterflies, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful flowers and plantings. A few years ago here in Texas we had over a hundred days of 100 and above. But we don't have the humidity you do so it's easier to live with. This summer hasn't been that bad, but there was a few weeks of high 90's. I'm more than ready for Fall. We just got back from a road trip through Kentucky and found it a lovely place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy, I hope you get some relief soon. We've got high temps, low humidity and a new wild fire that's closed the highway from LA to Las Vegas. I'll be happy when this summer is over. Take care and keep cool, Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My Goodness ! I know what and how you feel. Summer with no rain is bad you and the garden/ and yet the south is flooded again.
    Think cool and watch some winter type movies.

    cheers, parsnip and thehamish

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness, I can't imagine that heat! Good job you have the air conditioning. Do take care both of you:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't imagine that sort of heat and humidity, we have had a very short Summer season this year. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a record. I can't imagine living in that heat. We haven't had much summer this year and I'm already reading posts on blogs about how autumn is starting to creep in, no, I'm not ready yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That length of time at that heat must be quite debilitating. I'd love some better days here, but what you are experiencing sounds a little extreme. Today in the north of England it is sunny, around low 20s centigrade. Rain at the weekend and, as said above, the scent of autumn is in the air. On the upside - those butterflies are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have quite a variety of southern butterflies. I haven't seen hardly any this year. I think it's just too hot and dry for them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just can't imagine that heat day after day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, despite your withering heat, I DO envy you those butterflies! We have had a terrible year for them and they are in decline over here so even in a good summer they seem scarce. I love the photos of your beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 56 days! Oh my goodness! I couldn't cope if we had one day that hot. I love the sunshine but really can't cope with that sort of heat. Mac's flutterbyes are lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely butterflies but huge compared with BRitish ones. I remember being struck by the size of the butterflies and insects in general when I was in Virginia many years ago.

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...