Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Wednesday at the Little House

Wednesday afternoon, slow day, bit under the weather, not bad, just not right.  So I'm having a very quiet day, lots of crocheting and not much else.
Changed my header, Mac painted it to sell, but if it doesn't sell by the time I get the bathroom painted it's mine.  Otherwise he'll be painting one for me.  Just love the colors.
I'm always on the wait list for books at the library and sometimes will go months without making it to the top of the list.  But all too frequently all the books I've been waiting for become available at the same time.  That's what happened this weekend.  I now have 4 books to read in 2 weeks and 3 of them are at least 500 pages.
I immediately started  Summer Before the War by Helen Simonson, she wrote Major Pettigrew's Last Stand which I loved, and I wasn't disappointed, really enjoyed it. Not great literature, but a good story well written.
Then I dove into Sisterland by Curtis Sittenfield, the story of psychic twins, one reveling in it and one very reluctant.  It was good, but not great and I hated the ending.
Next up is The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.  I've been meaning to read this one for a long time, so I'm looking forward to it.
The last one is The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood.  I started it, but put it aside to read the others first.  You just can't read an Atwood book in a hurry, so I'll wait.
Almost done with my grey themed throw, just 7 rows to go.
About time to fix lunch so I'm off.

11 comments:

  1. As soon as I saw your new header I thought ... I do like that!

    "I now have 4 books to read in 2 weeks and 3 of them are at least 500 pages." ... well what a great excuse to sit down, relax and enjoy some good books! Now if it were me I'd also put the kettle on and enjoy a cup of tea too!

    Take care ... hope you fell 100% soon

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. The story of psychic twins sounds good but i imagine it could be made into something kind of nasty. I'd find it a bit of a responsibility to feel I had to read that many books in such a short time. Can you extend the loan?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The story of psychic twins sounds good but i imagine it could be made into something kind of nasty. I'd find it a bit of a responsibility to feel I had to read that many books in such a short time. Can you extend the loan?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate reading in a hurry, but what can you do? Maybe the library would let you slip down the list one or two? Otherwise, happy reading! I may have said this once or twice before...but you are so lucky to have a painter in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading Major Pettigrew's Last Stand. And, I have the Blind Assassin sitting on my bookshelf. Hopefully you'll feel better soon. Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful painting, your husband is one talented man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved The Kite Runner and the film too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely picture, I really like that. I enjoy using my local library but all too often, the books I'm waiting to borrow aren't in so I also keep a look out in the charity shops. I was lucky today and picked one up which has been on my list for some time. Hope you're feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've not long since read The Summer before the War and really enjoyed it. I must read Major Pettigrew's Last Stand now. I hope you feel well again soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the painting. He's a real talent. Hope you're feeling tickety-boo by now...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like your new header, love the colours as you say.

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...