Friday, July 23, 2010

Stay Out of My House!


The Carolina Red Wasp is native to this part of the country killing caterpillars and not doubt doing other worthy jobs.
It is also known as a paper wasp chewing up bits of wood pulp to make their nests, which are all too frequently near people's houses.
For years I just ignored them and then last year I walked out the front door and got stung by one who had built a nest in a wreath on my door.  Normally this would have upset me but not too much.  Unfortunately my body decided after a 100 years of bee and wasp stings that enough was enough and I had serious reaction that caused me to go to an emergency clinic to be given antihistamines and a prescription for an EPI pen to be used in case of further stings.
So I've spent the last year being cautious outside and not using the front door a lot.  The wasps are still around, that's just a fact of life.  But yesterday things changed.  I was in the bathroom with my nose in a book when I  reached over for toilet paper without looking, at first.  I guess I saw something out of the corner of my eye and turned to look.  There was a wasp on my toilet paper roll, I about had a heart attack, ran out yelling for Mac who quickly removed it.  Today he's been going around killing every wasp he can find.  No more Mr. Nice Guy!
You may be a paper wasp but you definitely don't belong on my toilet paper!

No comments:

Post a Comment

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...