Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Are We Having Fun Yet?

Well we're off car shopping today, not one of my favorite activities.  Right up there with root canals.  Why is car buying so hard?  Buying a house isn't that difficult, buying a boat isn't a nightmare, leasing anything is simple.  But cars are different and I don't understand it and it makes me grumpy.
When we car shop I always play "the bad guy", the one who walks away.  Except it's not an act, car salesmen always make me angry.  I don't want to play games.  I tell them what I want, what I'm willing to pay, how long I'm willing to pay it, what I'll pay down, whether I have a trade-in or not, and do I get a straight answer in return?  NEVER!  They offer this, they take away that, they connive.  I'm not looking forward to this.  Here's hoping I'm over reacting.
Is car shopping like this in other countries?

5 comments:

  1. It would seem car salesman are the same over there as they are here - they just leave you feeling you've been taken for a ride (no pun intended!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What timing--its surely too hot to shop for anything!
    I worked for 14 years in an auto body/collision repair shop where we also had some used vehicles for sale. I needed to replace my pickup truck with a 4wd model, so J. went with me to the lots in the nearest city.
    Same run-around you describe: I knew exactly what I wanted and the exact terminology to make that plain.
    The ultimate insult was when a salesman showed me a truck with rusty rocker panels. "Oh," he said glibly, "Thats just some scuffs on the paint. It'll buff right out." I turned and stomped off leaving J. to explain, "My wife works in a body shop. She knows rust when she sees it."
    Arrrgh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to post me on your site. Your post is amazing visitMom Blog Names

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...